700GB Bandwidth Included

Which is costing me roughly $900/yr.

I was thinking about switching to for a:

Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz Packages
    1 GB RAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    1000 GB Monthly Transfer

which is $1668/yr.

Does it make sense? Is there actually that big of a performance increase that I should take the leap? or should I stay with my current server for another year until the site gets so much traffic that I am forced to get some kind of power house?

Are you getting a high serverload and or are you maxing out your Ram? If that is not the case I would stay put. Unless you are having issues with servers4you.

Are you getting latency, slow page loading on the server?

Yeah, at peak hours when I have about (250+) users online, it usually takes a bout 5-6 seconds to load a page, (which is quite long).

Please also keep in mind that the site uses a lot of MySQL queries.

In the future, I want to see the site support 1500+ users on peak hours.

However the only problem I have right now, is the possibility that the performance increase (with the new server) would not be substantial to warrant a server transfer.

Seattle, WA
    Looking at those numbers I think more RAM might help the mysql.

Atlanta, Jawja
    Just for the record, an AMD Athelon 2000 XP only runs a bit less than 1.6 Ghz, whereas a Pentium IV 2.0 runs at a true 2.0 Ghz... so you're getting 400 Mhz more processing power, 256 megs of RAM additional, and 300 gigs of transfer more... for 700+ bucks more a year... that's not a bad trade off, honestly...

With a high database usage site, it boils down to two things: Processor power and RAM. I've got some pretty heavy hitting sites, and they all run on Dual Xeons with a gig of RAM minimum... so you would benefit from a higher performance machine.

I like Pentiums, but only for servers (and on my laptop). I will continue to run my AMD Athelons as my desktops, though.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

You are getting 400 more MHz, but the Athlons do more per clock, so it winds up evening out. Just watch P4 vs. Celeron or watch an Opteron 1.6 bury processors with twice the clock speed.

Anyway, if you're limited by memory, talk with server4you about getting more memory. It should cost much less than $700/yr. You may also want to get a consultant to look over the system and web app and clean up some bottlenecks.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys.

If I can get a more experts thoughts and opinions, that would be greatly appreciated!

Once again, thanks!

Kelowna B.C.
    RAM is your most valuable asset when it comes to forums and MySQL queries. If you can up that 1GB -> 2GB you should have no problem running 1500+ people on your forum.

Make sure you do use a provider that is able to upgrade your server when it's needed. This will save you from having to move your forum from server to server, and thus setup fees, and double billing while moving is avoided.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Illinois, USA
    Moved to dedicated server forum

Seattle, WA
    Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    Just for the record, an AMD Athelon 2000 XP only runs a bit less than 1.6 Ghz, whereas a Pentium IV 2.0 runs at a true 2.0 Ghz... so you're getting 400 Mhz more processing power
    This is jibberish. Clock speed is not indicitive of performance.

An AMD Athlon 2000 XP has the about the performance as a p4 2.0 (sometimes a bit better, sometimes worse).

Do NOT expect any form of increase in performance due to the CPU. Any difference would be negligible, and possibly not to your advantage.

So in essence, you're paying $700 a year for 256 megs of RAM (and the transfer, if you use it). Quite a steep price.

If you need more performance, you need to improve your specs by more than 256 MB of RAM. I'd recommend a faster processor, or if possible a dual xeon machine, and throw as much RAM at it as you can afford.
    Jim Reardon - jim/

11. #11, thanks for the reply!

So basically what you are trying to say, that it is not worth the $700 a year because there won't be a significant increase of performance for that price.

California USA
    dont forget about cache size, mysql lives on cache
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management -
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.

thelinuxguy, what would be a sufficient amount of cache required for a medium sized site? (avg about 1000+ online users at once)

Seattle, WA
    Originally posted by toxix
    thelinuxguy, what would be a sufficient amount of cache required for a medium sized site? (avg about 1000+ online users at once)
    Cache isn't something you really CHOOSE -- it's more or less what the processor manufacturer has decided is appropriate for their chip.

Cache size isn't the end all either -- some chipsets prefer to reduce the critical path to RAM to reduce the cost of cache missess, often at the expense of a smaller cache. But since it takes less cycles for RAM to respond, it can be just as or more efficient.

Also, processors are starting to design onboard memory controllers. Again, this reduces RAM latency so even with a smaller cache you can have, possibly, better performance.

Finally, the arrangement of the cahce (L1/L2/L3/victim caches and their respective sizes) has a big effect on how much the cache actually helps performance. Depending on the application and how the processor uses those caches a smaller total cache, but with more L1 than other level caches, might perform better than a processor with more total cache.

When AMD rates the performance of their chips, they do take into account the difference in onboard cache. I believe the recent Athlons have 128KB L1 and 256KB L2, whereas the P4s have 512KB L2 (or maybe total). P4 Prescotts have 1 MB total I believe. From what I've read, P4 needs a larger cache because it runs at a higher clock speed -- the higher the clock speed the more impact a delay will have (a static number of ms delay will be a larger number of cycles on a high speed chip).

If it's confusing, it's because it is. Performance is impossible to appropriately benchmark, measure, or simulate (no matter what anyone says).
    Jim Reardon - jim/

Go, witch a xeon setup if you can afford it. If not do a ram upgrade. Lookup on cpu database's ect, and some show how much cache various cpu's have.

Seattle, WA
    are you running cpanel? if so your ram will always be chewed up it is just how that works. I would suggest a dual processor setup if you can afford it. If not put as much ram as you can afford and get up to a processor that has 512kb of cache that will help a bit. Try to optimize some of the server programs you have. Install GZIP which helps a bit with load and bandwidth (although it does make more connections to apache, you will have to reserch if the option is best for you)