NEED HELP! Just stopped smoking!

The title says it all. I just stopped smoking today (Camel Turkish Jade was my brand of choice) and I'm sitting at work going nuts wanting a cigarette. Can anyone give me tips, suggestions, etc, ANYTHING!!!

Try not to think about it, Get really focused on your current job at work. Go get a can/bottle of soda or something to fill you up.... Good luck man.

Think about dying a painful death, and what kind of loss it would be to your family. That is what helped me quit.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Thumbs up

It takes will power, find something that you can do that always seems to result in smoking less, for me I used to find gaming as a method of not thinking about it. It is a little easier as well if you don't smoke in your residence.

I stopped January 3rd of this year after many years of smoking, for the past couple years however my habit had been slowly getting less and less until I was only smoking about 5-10 cigs per day, finally they raised the price to $8+/pack and that was enough for me to quit entirely.

It is NOT easy though, you will go through stages, the first few days are by far the worst of it though, then about 3 months after quitting you will get some temptation to have a puff but just keep fighting it. If you are around friends who smoke you will be tested to not accept or ask for cigs from them while at the same time letting them smoke if they wish, do not start harping on them to quit though, they too must decide for themselves.

After a while though, you'll find you can hang around smokers easy enough, you will still get that temptation flashing before you in your mind but just ignore it and think or talk about something else.

BTW, after about 3 weeks you will find your lungs function much nicer, food will taste better, etc. It is worth it in the end.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Best of luck to ya!!! I have quit several times... not successful yet, but I hope you can do it.
    Regards,
    Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I used to smoke.. i smoked newports for 1 year... then quit.. its been my 3rd month so far... just dont think about it.. grab some gum.. or candy.. keep a toothpick in your mouth.. might help
    hope this helps ya

I was a 2 pack a day smoker. I just fought off the temptation to go to my car and grab a pack of cigarettes.

I was too a 2 pack a day smoker (black tabacco, like Gitanes).
    I gain 10 pounds in 1 month after that I changed cigarretes for food, then changed it for candys, and now, I'm like a normal guy, indeed, I can't stand the cigarrete smoke, my girlfriend still smoke like 1 pack per day, and we always fight when she do it in front me.

The hard part I can tell you are the first 1-2 month, after that, you forget it and start to hate it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'm still a 2 pack smoker...Tried to quit a several times and then quit trying...
    Altough I HAVE to quit smoking by the end of this month...The Lady of the house can't stand the smoke, she has quit it a few years ago...

I would suggest a support program, like the one I'm taking right now.
    1st lesson is to throw away ALL your ashtrays
    2nd is to start counting the cigs you're smoking per day (not a home, you don't have any more ashtrays there, remeber?)
    3rd to leave the presence of other smokers (pretty hard for me, as all the guys in my office are smoking at least 2 packs/day)

I'll let you know when I'll get to the 4th step, ok?

Anyway, how about creating a support group for us wannabe non-smokers?
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

everytime you find yourself thinking about smoking slap yourself really hard, or better yet ask the person next to you to slap you, that way you will soon forget about smoking lol
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
    - Mark Twain

good luck.

Good luck man! Just dont smoke i know its hard but dont do it, eat,drink soda, get focused on playing a game or something

I used to smoke a pack a day, gum/caffeine helped me alot when I decided to quit, I haven't had a smoke in around 3 and a half weeks now.

What about those patches to help you stop smoking?

Have you tried those?

First I like to say congrats to giving up a bad habbit! It will be a long hard road a head of you, but it will be worth it. Some people get friends to help them stop (like if you crave it tell a friend to help you go through and stop before you do). Also what is your fav. food? For my brother he loved carrots so he ate baby carrots every time he craved a cig. Also think of all the money you will save!
    I am back....

Like everyone here has said, find something to keep you busy and try not to think about it. i was a 2-pack a day smoker and i quit in 1998. my husband continued to smoke until this past March... since then hes had 1/3 of his lung removed and whats left is in really poor shape.

i still get the urge for a smoke once in a great while. i dont think it ever goes away, but its a lot easier to ignore.

Get through this first week, it gets easier as time goes on. You'll see! You'll be glad you hung in there! Good luck!
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Re: NEED HELP! Just stopped smoking!

Originally posted by dk2
    The title says it all. I just stopped smoking today (Camel Turkish Jade was my brand of choice) and I'm sitting at work going nuts wanting a cigarette. Can anyone give me tips, suggestions, etc, ANYTHING!!!
    Think of the extra years added on to your life, the increased state of health, and the money saved.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

chew gum

Hang in there. It gets better. I quit cold turkey about 12 years ago. Was smoking 2 packs a day.
    Nicotine is a very powerful and addictive drug. Some say it's more addictive than cocaine. Overcoming your body's craving for it is tough.
    Change your lifestyle as much as possible for the first couple of weeks to reduce the triggers/events where you would usually smoke. Get rid of all ashtrays, don't hang out in bars if you smoked when you drank, switch to tea if you used to have a cup of coffee and a cigarette, etc.
    I ate a lot of crunchy raw veggies. Tootsie Pops helped, too. When you get a craving for one, get up and take a walk or get on an exercise bike or go to the gym. Exercise will keep you from gaining weight and will also help get the nicotine out of your body.
    One thing I did was add up all the money I'd save by quitting and used it to take a "quit smoking vacation" to a place I always wanted to go but didn't feel I could afford. I had my last cigarette on the way to the airport.
    Might want to try checking into a health spa for a week or weekend.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Exercise! Takes your mind off it.. Keep exercising until your arms and body hurt, so your too tired to even go get a cigarette.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Originally posted by JWise
    Exercise! Takes your mind off it.. Keep exercising until your arms and body hurt, so your too tired to even go get a cigarette.
    Yes, I agree with it, try to do a lot of excersices, I lost the weigh that I got in the first month of quiting .

The problem is, that you'll start to hate smokers, the smoke is soooo annoying for an ex-smoker.

I quited like 1 year ago, and sometimes, I dream that I smoke, is terrible.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

go run around the block, you will feel like $hit and will not want a butt and change your daily routine.

Worked for me 5 years ago,

good luck

if you run you need a fag...
    if you don't run you need a fag...

don't think about it you don't need a fag
    think about it you need a fag

hope that helps.
    John Heslop

I myself have never smoked, but I think i have just as much damage done by 2nd hand smoke - only time will tell.

Think about how much purer you will be, and the lifes you COULD save by stoping now. Loved ones are directly effected when you smoke around them.

Wish I could give better advice, but im the type of guy that tells myself "whats the point." when it comes to beer and smoking. I certainly dont see it a worthwhile investment.

Good luck, hang in there, its certainly going to feel great when your totally un-hooked. I promise.
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

Hang in there man

It is really hard to quit. I quit two weeks ago and keep thinking about smoking every minute. My mind is devided into two persons. One says - go smoke, another one - don't smoke. You know, like a Devil and Angel

What I do is exercise (run, then you don't want to smoke).

First days are really hard. You don't want to eat, you're in a bad mood. Just give it a couple of days and you'll see results.

null
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Well all I plan on going to get hypnotized Tuesday to help the cravings. Anyone ever get hypnotized? My girlfriends father says it works really well.

Originally posted by dk2
    www.smokeaway.com

it REALLY works!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Congrats! I stopped smoking 5 months ago, I always think "don't light the first one! many others will follow!" Works for me.

Have some sex with your gf/wife, lol hope this help

Gateway into something else

Originally posted by jheslop1
    if you run you need a fag...
    if you don't run you need a fag...

don't think about it you don't need a fag
    think about it you need a fag

hope that helps.
    Anyone wanna explain that the heck he said. Im totally lost.

Originally posted by Darktwist
    Have some sex with your gf/wife, lol hope this help
    .. isnt smoking directly related to sex? Watch some movies!

Originally posted by DeathNova
    Gateway into something else
    Dare I ask what your suggesting??

Originally posted by thehostworks
    Anyone wanna explain that the heck he said. Im totally lost.
    heh i can't remember why i said that . You think you're lost, what about me?
    John Heslop

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im proud of you!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Anyone been hypnotized?