Hostdime, network maxed out ?

I was taking a look at hostdime and by looking at their mrtg graphs on this page:

http://www.hostdime.com/datacenter.shtml

It looks like all of their DS3's are maxed out (42-43 mbits / 45 mbits).

I would be interrested to hear about current customers. Do you experience slow speeds ?

It looks like they have plently of room on Time Warner (not sure what their actual commit is), but it's strange that they let their DS3s become so full.

- Matt

OC-48 TimeWarner

Yes but what if your route to the server is not via TimeWarner ?

Also, the speed test on their website is located at NAC ?

Originally posted by ColoME
    OC-48 TimeWarner
    I find it hard to believe that they have a full 2+Gbps of capacity available at any time on TimeWarner. They wouldn't get 45Mbps from a bunch of companies, and then 2+Gbps on one Time Warner line. They probably have a ~200Mbps commit.

Also, note that their ATT MRTG image hasn't updated in a while, that's not pulling real time stats.

- Matt

It seems like they update those images manually?? Why dont they just link to their real MRTG stats....

Although I don't host with host dime I must defend them, as they were very kind to me in the past.

The reason the speed test is at NAC is that before they got their own datacenter they used NAC.

As far as the connections goes... Well you will have to take that up with them. Seems strange to me that they would not balence them among several providers (perhaps they took into concideration that TimeWarner is an awesome network and decided to make their timewarner connection bigger and went a little crazy). Also it is strange they arent using realtime statistics, however I have talked with a few of the people there and I am pretty sure that they aren't being dishonest or misleading, it would be very out of character.

As far as the connections goes... Well you will have to take that up with them. Seems strange to me that they would not balence them among several providers (perhaps they took into concideration that TimeWarner is an awesome network and decided to make their timewarner connection bigger and went a little crazy).
    Bad network plan. If Time Warner goes down, what happens to the lines that are already maxed out, or only have 5Mbps or so to spare? Higher pings, packetloss, slower speeds, etc...

- Matt

I agree. HostDime/SurpassHosting (they are the same datacenter) needs to do some major network improvement. Personally I think they should make all their carriers OC-12 or faster.

Umm... none of their graphs are real-time: http://hostdime.com/mrtg/

Maybe their mrtg died?
    Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

I had a client on hostdime they left due to network slow downs
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by codywatkins
    Umm... none of their graphs are real-time: http://hostdime.com/mrtg/

Maybe their mrtg died?
    We apologize for the inconvenience, MRTG is currently down due to it being adjusted to reflect our network upgrade.

We have recently upgraded to an OC-12 from UUNET from a DS3

We will also be dropping XO due to their bad level of support and connectivity issues.

In best interest to give the best level of service to our clients we have made that decision.

This will leave us with the following Tier 1 Premimum Providor Backbones

OC-48 Ethernet Handoff TimeWarner
    OC-12 Fully Burstable UUNET/MCI
    DS3 Fully Burstable AT&T
    For any doubts or questions on the exsisting mrtg graphs, they were old and not being updated dynamically

Which is why we felt the need to take it offline as it might have been misleading.

We expect to have the new MRTG within a few weeks after further testing is completed.

Regards,

HostDime.com Management

http://www.HostDime.com Only Premium Bandwidth NOC

DimeNoc Data center, Orlando FL 32801

Wait, OC-48 Ethernet handoff? How exactly does that work?
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

You take a pice of fiber and run it out the side of the building and lable it OC-48 while you use the actuall fast-ethernet connection :p

yeah, just label it and you have an oc-48