Catching Nascar Fever?

Nascar is a sport I don't understand, maybe someone can enlighten me

Where is the excitement of going fast and turning left? I don't get it! To me, it is boring. Nascar is too slow if that is possible.

It isn't only Nascar I don't understand, just about all auto racing bores me. What about you? Do you like nascar? What about drag racing? What about the races that are longer like the 24 hours of Le Mans?

Brandon
    AfterHim.com
    The Ultimate Website for Christian Men!

I used to watch Nascar a lot, but a lot of their races in our area moved to PPV.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Call me mean, twisted, or sick.. I like it for the crashes, as long as no one gets hurt, that is.

I am an adrenaline junky-- but its a totally different adrenaline feeling when someone gets hurt.

That being said, I almost NEVER watch it.. .. ok.. I NEVER watch it.. heh
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

Formula 1 is so much better.

Sometimes I'll watch figure skating, especially if my roommate is watching it. I always waiting for one of them to crash and burn. I remember 2 getting creamed one time...very cool!

Originally posted by thehostworks
    Call me mean, twisted, or sick.. I like it for the crashes, as long as no one gets hurt, that is.

I am an adrenaline junky-- but its a totally different adrenaline feeling when someone gets hurt.

That being said, I almost NEVER watch it.. .. ok.. I NEVER watch it.. heh
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

LOL Kim you're evil...

I wasn't all that big on NASCAR until the last couple of years where I've started paying more attention to it and hanging out with friends on Sundays to watch the races.

Here's a tip to get you more interested, run to Best Buy and purchase a force feedback wheel/pedal setup, pickup a copy of Sierra/Papyrus' NASCAR Racing 2003 and get it setup on your PC. You WILL need to practice quite a bit before getting online with others in a race (you can race a full 42 car field online).

But, what you will find by getting the simulation on your PC is that those guys on the track are freaking crazy! You get a good feel for the tracks with that game, you get to know just why those cars wipe out at 190MPH for no apparent reason, you'll feel your heart pound when you're racing side by side with others and realizing just how hard it is to keep your groove without wiping out yourself and/or the car(s) that are next to you.

You will learn the art of "drafting" on the superspeedways, once you master it you will learn how to team with others to increase the speed of both your vehicles, or how to work with a train of cars drafting together (and how to shake someone out of the train).

Oh, and you do get to have some spectacular crashes where you'll actually come out alive and unhurt. The real NASCAR drivers do use the same game for practice themselves, some of the drivers even frequent the online servers. Dale Jr. drives truck races online using the game.

I should mention that there are mods for the game too, you can drive the Nextel Cup cars, Busch GNS cars, Craftsman Trucks, IROC cars and GT cars (yes, you too can race a Viper or a 'Vette!) plus many additional cars and tracks available, you can also use your own paintjob online. Example:
    http://www.dynanet.ca/images/mycar.jpg

Some links ...
    Project Wildfire (mods and tracks) - http://www.onlineracin.com/pwf/
    Race Sim Central - http://www.racesimcentral.com/

BTW, another really good online racing SIM is built by 3 guys from Europe, check out http://www.liveforspeed.net/ ... lots of fun, plus they have a really cool racing cart, the MRTG5 from McGill Univ. in Canada
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Nascar is only fun if you really experience it, you can't just watch it on TV.

You need to go to the races and stay in an RV in the middle, bet money on who's gonig to win with friends, play those silly simulation games, it's all good.

Like many others have stated, I like the crashes too. That used to be the primary reason I watched the races. Unfortunately, the crashes don't have predictable timing, so you have to sit through the entire race to get the good ones (yes, crashes bad-to-good hierarchy in terms of entertainment). I mean really, it's the same thing as every day life, only more concentrated. On the freeways around here, there can be an accident on the east bound lanes. Traffic comes to an almost complete stop on the westbound because everybody slows down to look.... it's human nature.

After sitting through a season of crashes I came to like the good close racing -- side by side, close finishes etc. It's all about the adrenaline of watching them. The more you learn about the cars and how they drive and react to different situations, the more anticipation and adrenaline it provides.

I'll admit, I usually leave the race on the in the background at the more uneventful tracks and just turn and watch it whenever the TV people sound excited or I hear the sound of screeching tires, crunching metal and someone flipping around turn three at 180 mph.

The sport (come on, we consider golf a sport, we have to consider racing a sport) really has to grow on you. You can't sit down and watch one race to see if you like it. You have to sit through at least a season. Each race is different and each track unique, one race can be extremely boring, the next exciting. It takes a season to get the entire breadth of the experience and the fundamental understanding of the physics that make it fun to watch.

As for other racing. Drag racing is good, but only when they lose control or blow up. I like speed boats too.... for the same reason

Re: Catching Nascar Fever?

Originally posted by OCSupertones
    Nascar is a sport I don't understand, maybe someone can enlighten me
    Stock car racing is something you either get or you don't. No big deal if you don't, but there is considerably more to it than simply going fast and turning left.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables