London, Britannia.

Arrow Science News :: Wordl's first embryonic Stem Cell bank opens today in Britain.

Article extract >>

The world's first embryonic stem cell bank is to be officially opened in the UK on Wednesday.
    The centre, in Hertfordshire, will contain two stem cell lines developed by teams at King's College London and the Centre for Life in Newcastle.

Stem cells offer hope of new ways to repair and replace diseased and damaged body tissues.

However, opponents say it is unethical and unnecessary to use cells from embryos in this way.

This potentially revolutionary research could benefit thousands of patients.

Lord Warner

The need for a stem cell bank
    Even proponents admit that a huge amount of research is needed to understand exactly how stem cells work and how their potential can be harnessed for treatments for conditions such as diabetes, cancer, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Stem cells are the body's master cells, with the potential to become many different types of tissue.

The bank is funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).

Run by the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC), it will be responsible for storing, characterising and supplying ethically approved, quality controlled stem cell lines for research and ultimately for treatment.

End extract <<

For more info ::

This gives me reason to say "Now that's's what i'm talking about" Leading the way in this area and setting the
    paving the way for more rapid advancement is very good news.

What do you think about this development or .

Opinions?? Comments??

The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Thumbs up

Thumbs up! Definitely.

I have a 12 year old brother with Type I diabetes and stem cells are ultimate hope for a cure. It seems a lot of protestors have the wrong idea about the whole thing.
    MattF - Since the start... twitter / github

FT Worth, TX
    My family has a history of diabetes. The chances are I too could be facing this problem. If its a cure for it this could really help or even prevent me from getting it.
    Kerry Jones