Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got ripped!!!

I got ripped!!!

A while ago I entered a contest at wht, and I never won it. Check out what the guy put on his site though

my logo concepts:
    logo 1
    logo 2

His site:
    crystalisforums.com

Here is a link to the contest thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...=crystalis+art
      0 Not allowed!

Have you emailed a cease & desist email?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company
      0 Not allowed!

No, I just realized it happened
      0 Not allowed!

Name and shame is pretty effective. Maybe post into their community and post a link to the contest thread, where you offered your logo for entry.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Woah $20-30 and he could get logos of such quality.... Hmmm
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

THe money isn't the point. I had an idea for his logo, wich was rejected, and the he just takes it anyway
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by spiderweb
    THe money isn't the point. I had an idea for his logo, wich was rejected, and the he just takes it anyway
    Yes i understand your point. Was just commenting on the rates people expect design services for nowadays. Apologies for going Off-topic btw.

Hope you get justice done
    Shawn Ho
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe you better take a screenshot before he deletes your post.

http://crystalisforums.com/showthrea...0505#post10505

Today, 11:01 AM
    _ #1
    spiderweb
    _

Crystalis art is just a big scam - they ripped my design
    This guys entire site is based around a LOGO HE STOLE from me. He had a contest a WHT that I didn't win, and he the just ripped me off.

Here is the thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...t=crystalis+art

Here are my logos:
    LOGO 1
    LOGO 2

I will be contacting his host and having him shut down. A cease and desist letter will follow.
      0 Not allowed!

True, just did it.

I also just emailed his host about it. It's funny how the entire site is based around that logo
      0 Not allowed!

Here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss.gif  
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks man
      0 Not allowed!

HA! check out what one of their mods replied to me:

What the hell? By the way the other post that was EXACTLY the same as this one was removed, no reason to have it appear multiple times across the board, I think you made your point here thus far for what it is worth.

His name is: Jaycee
      0 Not allowed!

They'll be paying you or taking it down by the time I'm through with them.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator
      0 Not allowed!

This is what the owner had to say:

lol i dont have any idea what you talking about. when looking for a logo and other designers asked what i wanted I showed them your logo and told them that I wanted it a little more blotches of color all over the place. i took it to http://www.avidnewmedia.com and had them create me a logo. I in no way ripped your logo and I am not redesigning my site because the logos have the same colors......your an idiot and I would appreciate it if you would stop flamming my boards. Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by spiderweb
    I showed them your logo.... i took it to.....
    First off, that right there means it's based off yours which you deserve credit for. Secondly, it's practically identical if not 100% identical.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator
      0 Not allowed!

Funny thing is, I remember avidnewmedia complaining that they got ripped quite recently
      0 Not allowed!

Can you not copyright it then sue for infringement they have no choice then
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company
      0 Not allowed!

It's already covered under intellectual property laws, just like writing songs are as soon as you write them. The thing is you need to prove it.
      0 Not allowed!

Thats right, just about anything you create that is original is automatically copyright, there is not need to actually do anything.

I would think proving it will be easy given the posting on this forum.

I would either demand payment or removal. Depends what you want yourself. I am sure the community members on that site can fork out enough to pay for the logo rights.

If you had a bit of cash you could easily take court action. But at the least you could get a lawyer to send them a cease and desist if you can afford it.

G luck

James

Edit: I should say it is ironic a site about art has a pinched logo as its main design element.
      0 Not allowed!

My god, could this Jordan Blackburn guy (Triality on his forums, TheInverted here) be any more of a creep?

"alls i know is that i took your concept to other designs to have it created cheaper. they created what I wanted, they got paid, nothing was ripped. as far as the colors i asked you to make these colors, as far as the font, who cares its a preloaded font on windows, same design???? i dont really think so. i see some similarities, but not too much"

He's already admitted twice that he used your design. Should you choose to pursue this, he won't have a leg to stand on.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
      0 Not allowed!

There are four good reasons why they should pay you a sum equal to the time you spent on the design.

1. Because you did them a favour by designing something they liked so much that they stole it.

2. Common decency

3. To stop the flaming that will start to build up as a result of your posts.

4. Doing the right thing.

It is only a few dollers, what is the pain to them and who the hell will do business with an arse like that in future?

Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

Another reason why I don't participate in "contests". Work by project commission only; that's what portfolios are for, to sell yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

I just contacted Mark from Avidnewmedia about the matter. I am sure he will understand, as his site was ripped recently.

Here is what I told him:

The bottom line is that you stole my design. You know it, I know it, your members know it, and WHT knows it as well. I have contacted your host, and I have also contacted Mark at Avid New Media. He will understand as he recently had his site ripped off by some disrespectfull loser. As stated earlier, I want this logo taken down NOW. You know you're in the wrong, so take the high road and admit it. Don't think I will just let it pass. People like yourself are a designer's worst enemy.
      0 Not allowed!

Every once in awhile something like this happens... I don't know why people do this, they're just hurting themselves.

Here's an idea...

ThePlanet is their web host, so Go to this link:
    http://www.theplanet.com/legal/index.html

And follow their procedure for making claims of Copyright Infringement. If The Planet agrees with you, their server will be disconnected as per the acceptable use policy.

If you want the infringer's contact information, it's at the following page

http://www.whois.sc/crystalisforums.com

----

Good Luck.
      0 Not allowed!

It wouldn't hurt to keep your letters to them a little more respectful, no matter what kind of responses they try giving you. The more professional you are about the matter, the better off you are in your case against them.
      0 Not allowed!

I see your point, but if you read what he told me you'll understand
      0 Not allowed!

i hope you get this sorted out, it must be difficult to see something you made get stolen and used without any form of recompense.

that said i have to say the logo is very good indeed you are a tallented person......
      0 Not allowed!

Judging by the attitude of the owner, I wont be demanding payment, instead make sure their host shuts them down.
    Shawn Ho
      0 Not allowed!

Update:
    His host says he has 24 hours to resolve this or his site will be taken down
      0 Not allowed!

Great news, as I said earlier, a small payment would have stopped all this ealier

0 Not allowed!

Good luck Phil

I have had something simlar happen before.

The person copied my site and hosted a modified insult version on his ISP's Homepage webspace.

What did I do? E-Mail his ISP and he gets his account closed!

He then went offline for a week, until he found a new ISP. Now my eyes are on him.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for contacting me on the issue.

First, I would like to apologize. I do sympathize with you.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot I can do on my end now. However, I do have the AIM logs, if it will help.

Session Start (Mark:TheInvertedKid): Wed Mar 31 20:56:23 2004
    ==============================================
    TheInvertedKid: ok, will you guys be running any logo promos soon?

Mark: not anytime soon actually the last promo got a very big response and turned into and unfortunate mass confusion.

TheInvertedKid: eh thats too bad

Mark: However, if you're interested in a new logo, I would be happy to honor that

TheInvertedKid: how much would it cost

Mark: I can do it, for a new site, at $15

Mark: guaranteed unique

TheInvertedKid: ok that would be great

TheInvertedKid: ill show u what I had done for me and what im looking for. After I got it, it's just not crisp and sharp.

TheInvertedKid: http://timepiecemedia.net/forsale/crystal2.gif

TheInvertedKid: something like this, but shaper

TheInvertedKid: it seems blurry and dull

TheInvertedKid: and the typo is lame

Mark: typo? as in mistake in spelling?

TheInvertedKid: typo in the font style and stuff

Mark: oh ok

TheInvertedKid: the image in the bg is pretty much an just an abstract looking thing

TheInvertedKid: its not a physical item

Mark: ok

TheInvertedKid: do you know how long this might take

Mark: well I need to get some info from you.

Mark: Same colors?

Mark: same type of image in the bg?

TheInvertedKid: yea basically, really doesnt matter. i can change them with the psd

TheInvertedKid: yes same image in the bg

TheInvertedKid: just sharper

Mark: ok, well it's sometimes hard to recreate an abstract to be identical. I'm assuming since you got this logo done for you, it may have some significant branding with it. If I cannot recreate the image exactly, is that going to be a problem?

TheInvertedKid: fine, just not blurry or dull looking

Mark: I can start on it now, as I'm not very busy, and I can have something for you shortly actually.

TheInvertedKid: ok that would be awesome.
    ==============================================
    Session Close (TheInvertedKid): Mon Apr 05 18:33:31 2004

I was under the impression that he had purchased this already, but needed it redone.

I now feel shamed and used, and you have my sympathy in this matter. Unfortunately however, I'm not sure there is much more that I can do on my end.

However, I will help in any way that I possibly can, just let me know.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV
      0 Not allowed!

Quoting from above

Mark, for $15 you're risking losing your company's integrity.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by timechange.com
    Quoting from above

Mark, for $15 you're risking losing your company's integrity.
    Lets be honest, he has already lost his integrity
      0 Not allowed!

Lets be honest, he has already lost his integrity
    Well let's do keep in mind that there was an issue that had arisen between Jordan and I previously. I was trying to honor a promotion price to rectify the issue we previously had.

In addition, I do not feel that I have lost my integrity or in anyway jeapordized our company's integrity. This thread does not concern me, to an extent, and as stated above, he was granted a promotional price, because of a previous issue. I'm simply trying to assist if I can.

So, grap, if you have any further opinions on off topic matters, please think them through first, as you did not have any knowledge of prior arrangements, or issues regarding the end client and myself.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

Mark it seems that a bit of common sense could have gone a long way here. If he had bought the logo, why would he not have you modify the .PSD? Also why would he have you grab it off my server? We are beyond pointing the blame now, but next time you should think twice before taking a job for 15$ that could ruin your good name.

Anyway I really appreciate everyone's support here, it's so great to know that people back you up when you have a just cause and need help Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

ANMMark, my statement was not addressed to you, you are obviously honerable. My statement was aimed at the person who used the thread starters good intent.

Sorry for any confusion
      0 Not allowed!

Well, in all honesty it is not my responsibility to ask, "Who's server is that on?" For all I knew it was his own, and I had no reason to doubt him until this all came up.

He said that he had the logo made, leaving me to believe he purchased it.

I assumed the reason he did not have me edit the PSD, was simply because too much of it needed changed for him. You cannot fix sharpness issues in a PSD, it would have needed redone from scratch to fix that.

So, while my judgement unfortunately did not work out for you, and I'm sorry about that, I had no reason to judge otherwise.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

I totally understand Mark, trust me the blame has already been place where it is deserved wich is on Jordan.
    You have already helped quite a bit by posting that conversation log
    It's just a few things that I thought I would point out as a "next time..." type of statement.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe plagiarism should be legal. Stop crying and look at it as someone who likes your art enough to use it.

I am willing to bet that all of you people crying about how wrong it is, just happen to have some downloaded mp3's on your pc right now.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast