DNS mail propagation question

If you present pop server is mail.mydomain.com and you change hosting comapnies, and the new host also uses the configuartion mail.mydomain.com, how will that effect propagation?

I want to leave the old hosting account up and running until the propagation is complete for both webesite and mail.

What is the best way to set this up so that you don't lose any mail. I have Outlook Express to think about, the POP thing to think about and the email passwords to think about. Should I intensionally make the passwords different or can I leave them the same. Should I make a new Outlook acct. and keep the old Outlook acct. and download from both servers while the propagation is going on? Again, the fact that both hosts use mail.mydomain.com has me a little concerned that things might get confused.

Best way to make sure that you don't lose any emails is to change your current configuration to utilize the IP address of your old server's site... and create a new account with the configs used by your new host and utilize the IP address of that server. After you change DNS, leave it configured that way for about 4-7 days. On the NEW account, change the IP to mail.yourdomain.com and make sure you're sending/receiving via that account. Once you are, you should be safe in deleting the old account info/config.

Hope this helps!
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Well that sure went over my head. I don"t think I can utilize the IP address of the old server's site as it is not my IP.

When I moved hosts, I just left my info the same, mail.me.com and it took a few days, then I finally checked the other server for a month to make sure no mails went somewhere else. But that is the stupid way :-P
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

Ron, you can most definitely use the IP address of the old server for your incoming and outgoing mail server. That's the only way to guarantee that you will not lose any email. You normally access it via "mail.yourdomain.com", an alias for the IP address. All you're doing is just changing it to an IP address.

It does work, I've had to do that with over 20 customers when I took over their original hosting companies...
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Douglas' way is the most efficient and insures you don't receive any delays in receiving emails if you get time-sensitive stuff.

If it's over your head, just leave it as Chaud suggested, but make sure to monitor (via webmail) your old account. Your mail will begin to come in to the new server once propagation is complete with your ISP and that will arrive to you with your current account settings in Outlook Express. For people around the world who's isp's haven't updated, however, their email will continue to land in your mailbox on your old server for theoretically up to a week or two. It should take much less time, but you never know.

-Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood