Thread: Vrml?

Vrml?

I've been looking into putting a multi-user VRML area on my site, for users to view models, screen shots, and just have fun (Beats IRC, and lets people discuss screens/models - why not?)

I've found a few: But they all cost money, and sometimes insane amounts (Blaxxun's multi-user server/client is $1,100+!), and the ones that I've found for free are either java and don't have online support, or just don't have online support.

So my question is: Does anyone know of a good free multi-user ActiveX (preferbly) VRML client/server?

It'd be nice if it were easy to develop in, as well... So that always helps

Does anyone have any experience with VRML at all, for that matter? It used to be very popular, but I haven't heard anything about it since 1999.

VRML kinda died and disappeared from the surface of the Earth -.-" It was a good concept but I don't see any business value in it...

Yeah, I pretty much thought it died ...
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Its still around, just not used as much - Blaxxun has made leaps and bounds with it (Its now pretty much equal to http://www.activeworlds.com - but with better graphics ).

Oh well, does anyone have any suggestions? Free 3d web-based online environment that can show .x, .3ds (or some other 3d model format)?

When VRML was popular, people were REALLY into it and making knock offs of it... Its funny we have Flash and Shockwave now, but no good free 3d web-based control.

My guys showed me something in VRML once...It was really nicely done, but I think there are some new technologies emerging.
    If VRML would have been nicely developed, it would've been a really nice toy

Back in the old days we used to kill bugs with a huge VRML manual
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli