Wannabe competitors - be gone!

[rant]

This has been something that has been bothering me for some time. And by design I will make this post as generic as possible since it is in the Lounge.

It drives me absolutely crazy when competitors in the same industry base their product offerings on nothing more than a transparent clone of your products, your creative ideas, your extensive research. You develop Product A, your competitors release a facsimile of Product A. You develop Product B, your competitors release a facsimile of Product B. And so on, and so on. They don't seem to have a creative bone in their bodies. And their development cost is a fraction of yours, since you've done all the leg work. As a result, they end up fractionally undercutting you in price.

This is happening to me day in and day out. As a result, when I am developing a new product, I end up using a different set of criteria. Aside from trying to cater to the needs of my customers, I make it a point to make the new product very complicated and very expensive to produce. In my mind, it's the only way to get wannabe competitors to think twice before riding your coat tails.

Do I sound resentful? You betcha. It's very frustrating.

[/end of rant]

(I feel a bit better...)

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Somehow this ended up sounded too long-winded and excited..

Atleast you have the satisfaction of knowing every single one of your products is a ton better than any of theirs!

Would that be true, DanX. Not always the case...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I will say this Vito, you never have to worry about me leaving you for anyone else. I dont care about the price, as I know you and your reputation and the product you offer. I'd rather pay a higher price for a quality product that I know you put alot of effort in developing, then any other cheap clone.

Customer for life here, and that is not words to be taken lightly.

You know vito, i have even tried to sell your product for you OFFLINE. I think you have a great product, and I continue to recommend you... That is if you dont mind me saying I know you... haha
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

unfortunately that happens in all walks of life m8, look at magazines when a new one comes out that is innovative and creates a stir then gets a good reader base along come the clone's trying and in some cases succeeding to usurp them.

however you know you are the best and you know you can create new and hopefully better products while these people are waiting with baited breath to follow you lead.

and as such you have the advantage of a head start not to mention a better reputation as a innovator and will always be that one step ahead of the competition.......

All said, still very frustrating.

Vito

Originally posted by phill2003
    unfortunately that happens in all walks of life m8, look at magazines when a new one comes out that is innovative and creates a stir then gets a good reader base along come the clone's trying and in some cases succeeding to usurp them.
    That was part of the movie "13 going on 30"

Originally posted by timechange.com
    That was part of the movie "13 going on 30"
    was it? my head nearly exploded trying to be all intelligent i can only manage it once a day and then i need a sleep