why waste our time?

We as members make every effort to keep posts inline, etc, use the report to mods buttons etc

and once thats done, you simply dont respond or (now that you have a helpdesk) automatically close the ticket without even a response

My question is as members, we take our own time to keep the boards inline, report posts etc that dont fall within guidelines, why should we waste our time, when the fact of the matter is, you, the mods, dont even give us the time of day to even give a quick response of the status of whatever was requested or sent in etc...

Sure your doing it free, i guess, but still, you the mods, were not forced into the leadership or overview position, so why dont you add a bit of customer service to it and anytime a member hits the report link, take 3 seconds out of your busy day and reply to the ticket if you decide on closing it

just my two bits for the day

What would you like to hear back from us?

99.99% of the time we will not be able to disclose any action that was taken beyond the telling you the post was removed due to the privacy policy restrictions we have. We are always appreciative of members reports and we try to deal with the swiftly to keep things clean.

Also you have to understand that a vast majority of the actions that are taken on reported posts are likely to extremely annoy the offending party so by ensuring the mod who dealt with the actual post is kept anonymous we limit the amount of personal attacks the staff receive.
    http://www.eBoundary.com - Let us help you expand your eBoundaries!
    Fast, Secure and reliable FreeBSD shared, reseller and dedicated hosting.
    FREE Peace of mind with every account!

To be honest, there is just not enough time to reply to each one individually due to the sheer number of reports received each day.

As eBoundary mentioned, we do not discuss the actions taken against members with anyone but that member, which is why there is not a comment back stating what was done.

We certainly appreciate all of the reports that are submitted, and I thank you for taking the time to do so. It helps make our job a little easier.

Originally posted by Matt
    To be honest, there is just not enough time to reply to each one individually due to the sheer number of reports received each day.
    I'd expect, too, that as in the case of reported posts many times the same post is reported by several people. It'd be a waste of time, and really pretty pointless, to respond to each of them saying "OK, the post was deleted," or "OK, the thread was moved," or whatever.

I've gotten responses from time when the situation was something out of the ordinary, or even a lighthearted humorous reponse at times... but as far as expecting a response to everything, I don't really see the point. On the other hand, I can understand that people might like to hear a "thank you" once in a while. Well at least we got one in this thread.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Don't most helpdesks have a feature that allow you to set up pre-defined responses? Even if you don't have time to personalize each reply, a simple

'Hi,
    We have received your report/request and are investigating it now/have dealt with it. Thanks for the tip and for your involvement in WHT.
    Sincerely,
    Blahblah'

It wouldn't take any more time to use the dropdown menu to do that than it does to close the ticket, and users would feel their actions were at least acknowledged.

Just my $0.02
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Funny you should mention that.

The desk has been a little funky. We've now got the reply template working.

However, there are some report tickets that can't be replied to because the desk decides there isn't an email address to reply to.

We do appreciate all reports. And do try to thank members. But, we can only do what the desk lets us.

Hope to have it all sorted out soon.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    The desk has been a little funky. We've now got the reply template working.
    Yeah. I don't know what drugs the help desk is on, but it does act up every now and then.

We also truly appreciate all the assistance from our members who use the report post feature. It goes a long way in helping us keep the forums clean.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

IMO, I think a little "thanks, we're onto it", would be nice, for when we report a post etc. It only takes a few seconds more than just closing the ticket without a response. It feels a bit rude when you send in a report and then the ticket is closed with no reply, imo.

No big deal, just a small thing.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by codywatkins
    . . . We also truly appreciate all the assistance from our members who use the report post feature. It goes a long way in helping us keep the forums clean.
    Yes, so show your appreciation with a 3 second "thanks" reply to the ticket, as you close it. A little reply goes a long way.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yes, so show your appreciation with a 3 second "thanks" reply to the ticket, as you close it. A little reply goes a long way.
    A change has already been made

Originally posted by Matt
    A change has already been made
    Ok, I'll test it out shortly . . .

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Ok, I'll test it out shortly . . .
    However, there are some report tickets that can't be replied to because the desk decides there isn't an email address to reply to.
    If you are one of those, it won't work

Yeh. That problem still exists.

Let Prohacker onto it and he can do some gentle repair work.

I agree 100% on the topic. Mods never, EVER tell you what they do unless you ask & pray for a short, curt reply. I'm not trying to chastise the mods or anything but c'mon, they seldom do their job and at other times, they do ungodly things for no reason at all. I've submitted "report" messages a dozen times and the throublesome post is ALWAYS INTACT! Hey-Let me tell you what happened today!

I made a normal sales thread for 2 of my domains (here's an exact copy http://www.namepros.com/showthread.p...threadid=31131 ), hoping to get some business on my offerings. Shortly after, a stupid newbie came on and left this curt, rude reply: hahahahahaha!" It's against the rules to leave these type of posts in a thread. I sent a report to the mods, telling them 1.) the post should be removed and 2.) the user should have been suspended-hey, you mods suspended me twice in MY FIRST WEEK for downgrading threads!-for his curt post. And what happens? My THREAD WAS REMOVED FOR NO REASON AT ALL and to my knowledge, poot little Mr Joe Newbie got away with it.

Am I missing something??! Yes yes I know, you mods do this for free but you shoud at LEAST do an anequate job of it! From what I see, mods are incompetent hypocrites. Ya know what? I bet I'll be suspended-or if not, banned-for this post of mine. But why? I don't know about you mods but this is America I'm typing this in. I'm sure you have freedoms to voice your disdain, just like I do. But ANSWERS! Just like it was said earlier in this thread, could you spare a minute to explain your actions or at least moderate properly? I really am not trying to make anyone mad here but come on, please-give us something to hold onto, here.

Randy sometimes the reason a post is removed is between the moderation staff and the poster so we cannot provide information. Also for we have had a few hiccups in the helpdesk resulting in some reports not being recieved.

We will not suspend you for posting your opinion or asking a question as long as the post is within the guidelines. IF you would like more information about your post please contact the Community Leaders at http://www.helpdesk.com/helpdesk/

Now that I'm a little more sane, I can post this reply. I wasn't very civil when I made the above post. When an overheated, psychotic guy gets mad, well, the results aren't always pretty.

I'm kinda assuming that somebody misread my message. I stated that the rude post should be removed from the thread, though it was actually the thread that was deleted. Thanks for clearing up that bit about things being between the poster and the mods. But the sudden disappearance of my thread is still a question mark.

Your thread is back. I guess it was removed to be cleaned up.

Originally posted by NightProwler
    . . . the sudden disappearance of my thread is still a question mark.
    Have you tried Searching for posts by you?

I see nothing in 'Thrown.'

Granted; I only went back two months.

Perhaps you are refering to a recently edited one.

Some moderators prefer to move a thread to Thrown before doing any editing or splitting (removing posts) so that the thread isn't posted to while they're working on it.

Of course, if the thread you're talking about is over two months old; please disregard the above theory.

[edit]

My connection is always bad. But, it's even worse when it's raining.

And; it's raining.

Have you tried Searching for posts by you?

I see nothing in 'Thrown.'

Granted; I only went back two months.

Perhaps you are refering to a recently edited one.

Some moderators prefer to move a thread to Thrown before doing any editing or splitting (removing posts) so that the thread isn't posted to while they're working on it.

Of course, if the thread you're talking about is over two months old; please disregard the above theory.

[edit]

My connection is always bad. But, it's even worse when it's raining.

And; it's raining.
    I searched and sure enough, I found it. It's odd because the page kept giving me a message stating it was likely removed or I didn't have permission to view it. Ah... sometimes it's just plain hard to understand how life works, I suppose.

And strangely, I like rain. It helps get me in the mood to write. As my first post shows, I tend to take things more seriously than I knowingly should... when you're a writer, nearly anything can have effect on your emotions I'm just an oddball.