Question What is the main difference between PhPBB and Vbulletin?

I mean besides the fact that Vbulletin cost... and PhPBB is free, what are there distinct differences that makes Vbulletin so expensive?

Just curious... coz Ive been surfing around and I stumbled upon the PhPBB website, and I have to admit that im impressed with this program...

Anyone out there care to share?

With Vbulletin you get some more features and you get the support you pay for.
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

Hmmm you can add a lot of features by modding phpBB but vBulletin comes with these as standard.

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Don't forget to check out SMF too...

-Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

phpBB is my favorite free forum, and is quite powerful. There next release is months behind the new release of vBulletin. You can see it is almost finished here:
    http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/

But honestly, if you have the money and you expect your forum to be HUGE, I would go with a vBulletin license. But if you are not expecting GB daily traffic, phpBB is plenty powerful enough.

also you might want to look into invisionboard as well
    it's a free forum software that has more features than phpbb. invision board 2 is also expected to be released in the next few months, they have a pre release version out now and it looks very promising

Invisionboard is pretty nice.

The main differances are in the administration of the forum script. There are some front end differances but not many. I haven't used phpBB or Invision in quite a long time.

Tracy Phillips

If I'm using one of these boards and want to switch or try one of the others can I do that and not lose any new threads?
    ie. invision -> phpbb or phpbb -> vBulletin
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com
    AIM Screen Name - buyourweb
    More power than a web site needs - xController cPanel theme and Fantastico

When You install a lot of MODS into phpBB your board will do a lot of MYSQL requests and your MYSQL DB will go off very often
    gonz0

I still don't get what kind of features vbulletin has that makes is worth the cost (compared to free)....
    phpbb has a HUGE modding community, and you can find just about any hack to make phpbb have the same features as vbulletin, plus tons more.

So what is it really that makes vbulletin so much better?

PhpBB rocks, I have seen a site with over half a million members running PhpBB and it was rock solid, I saw one thread with over 300,000 replies in it, It was incredible.

vBulletin 3 has some real nice feature from a user point. I don't currently admin one so I have no clue what the admin panel has compared to phpBB...

The whole popup css menu thing in VB3 is nice. When you hover over a user you get another menu. They added this feature to a lot of their menus.

I find it seems more stable on really large boards. But in those cases the host/ server(s) play a big part in that.

But really if you are interested in phpBB you should look at the area51 release if you want to compare it with the new vers 3 release of VB. PhpBB 2.2 should be out soon (so they have been saying for months now =)

Vbulletin has not only saved me time, but it looks more appealing as well.

With Vbulletin, they have a hack out their called vbgarage, Which members can upload their mustangs instantly with a click of the button. This has saved myself time because I no longer have to go and manually make each members page as the submit their rides.

I also like how you can see what each member is doing and their last visit.

The admin Control panel is much more powerful and professional!

I used to have PHPBB on my site, but now since I went with Vbulletin, My site looks 100X better. Their is just a lot more functions with Vbulletin and a TON of hacks that can be installed manually.
    HammerHost.com
    "Hammering Away At The Competition"
    "High Quality Affordable Web Hosting"

vBulletin: Reliability. Power. Stability. Support.
    vBulletin is more resource effieicent and has a much better interface.

But when money is a concern, phpBB is Seccond best

So PhPBB is less resource efficient and stable compared to Vbulletin... How bout Invision Board? How well does it fair against Vbulletin?

Invisionboard takes up more resources than phpbb