What does it take to host a ircd server?

i might to set up my own irc network on my soon to be colo machine. what does it take to get one up? what programs do i need?

thanks

also btw, is anyone providing ircd hosting services?

To run an IRCD you must have an IRC friendly datacenter. Most datacenters don't allow IRC processes cause to DDoS attacks.

If you want any help with one, I can help you out, most low risk 1000 > IRcds arn't a problem with most DCs, as far as i've checked.

I don't want to self advertise here, so i better shut up

i dont have my server yet but i wanted to give it a try and see if i can mange one

They are very easy to manage and very easy to setup.
    Charles R. Wieland
    Chief Technical Officer
    Phima Group, LLC
    http://www.phimagroup.com

Your biggest challenge will be finding a datacenter that allows it. It doesn't take too powerful of a server or even much bandwidth (not counting for when DoS attacks happen) to have a stable server that can handle hundreds of users. I have hosted one on sago networks for awhile with no issues and would be happy to find out where the rest of the admins on the network I am linked to have their servers hosted.

As far as what programs, just an ircd... check with various irc networks and find out what they use, download them, test and see what you like the best. We currently use unreal ircd on our network. You may also want to look into a set of services such as anope or ircservices which allow users to register nicks and channels... provides protection against abuse in channels that users can manage themselves, etc.
    http://www.bash-shell.net - webhosting geared towards personal websites and small businesses.
    http://domains.bash-shell.net

Well, what you need is some basic knowledge in linux (I don't recommend running ircds on windows).

Now, as to what programs you need. Well, if it's a small network of a few hundred up to about five thousand
    you could go for unrealircd. If it's a big network (10000+) you might want to look into Bahamut ircd. You'll have to look them up on google or something since I can't post the urls (forum rules and such).

As for what datacenters allow ircds. You might want to check out sagonet or staminus (Do a search for them on this forum for more info).

Also, as retri said. You might want to look into services such as anope or ircservices, so people can register channels and nicks.

But keep in mind that by setting up a irc server/network you're more likely to attract DDoS attacks no matter how big or small your network is.

wow thanks for your posts guys. i used to log on DalNet and noticed they were using the Bahamut ircd, it seems pretty good in a clients perspective.

since im just a newbie on setting up a irc network, ill probably just try and set up a small network maybe 800 and below. yeah im going to be looking into the ircservices chanserv/nickserv so i can install them with my ircd.

there seems to be alot of ircds available, other than unreal what other ircds can u suggest? just wanted to compare the features

btw retri that would be awesome if you could send some links here for some irc hosts. thanks guys

Well, if you want to compare. Aside from unrealircd and bahamut, you could try looking into ultimate ircd and dancer ircd. Those are also pretty good ircds.

Anyway, good luck comparing. Hope you find an ircd that suits your needs.

DJ Plasma do you offer an ircd hosting as well?

CretaForce sent me an offer so i can get myself fammiliar with running a irc network. But he hasnt replied yet and im not sure where his servers are located (might be in greece im not sure) but i would prefer somewhere in the central US. But anywhere in the US will do really.

Jack for al your help JackStorm. Im searching in google for the ircd's you recommended

even though datacenters say no IRC you can still speak with them and maybe come to an agreement, which is what we did..