Web/pop3 mail Solution Help

Hi,

I have been after a solution for user web/pop3 mail for a while. It needs to be flexible enough for us to integrate it with our user system, so open source code preferable.

So far I bought Hivemail which looks good but does not do everything we need and am concerned about its scalability. Plus the pop3 addons seems to have been in development for ages.

Also have Socketmail which does do everything we want but have not manged to get it installed. Also concerned about how stable it is. The support also seems a but slow to answer on their forum.

Just while answering another thread about these clients I was thinking. Could we not get a script to tie in our user creation with cpanel and create mail accounts in that, then just use an off the shelf webmail client (do not want horde etc as no idea how to skin them) for user to access mail?

Does anyone know of a script that does this?

Like I say the above two appear to do what we want but I fear for stability issues and lots of bugs.

I did look at @mail as well but a bit expensive for initial deployment.

What do you think, is it possible to create cpanel mail accounts automatically via a script?

Am I just being too stingy and should fork out for a more professional solution like @mail.

Comments appreciated.

thanks

James

HiveMail

EDIT: Actually I dont think hivemail offers POP3. Maybe look into @mail, however its VERY VERY expensive

Bub

Thanks,

Nah it does not :-) I am also real wary now as all the cheaper email solutions seem to have endless bugs and problems. Gues you get what you pay for.

Well I reckon if we cannot get socketmail working then I have found some code to create accounts with cpanel automatically.

So we could buy say a webmail interface, too hard to customise horde etc.

Then we just use the code in our user signup behind the scenes to set up their email account. Want to offer multiple domains so they can choose mymail@domain1.com mymail@domain2.com etc.

I think the code I found would do this, need to talk to our programmer. MIght be easier than relying on the cheaper alternatives.

Like you say @mail is pricey but I daresay very stable. But using this script with cpanel might work instead.

Any other suggestions?

i don't think someone did look into webmail systems more than i did, i almost tried every piece of software out there, finally now i'm using @Mail for both free and commercial usage, works like charm, true i paid $5K+ startup, but worth every cent IMO

you might to look into my 3rd in list webumake.com mail software its nice too, but my 2nd in list is hivemail.

btw care to share the script that auto create cpanel email accounts from web ?

Thanks.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Hi Bashar,

Yes, it does look good. It would be fine for the new site as it will grow over time. But I have to provide mail services for an existing site as well with a lot of subscribers. So the start up would be too high.

But the new site is more commercial so once it generates enough income then we will look at migrating. I cannot afford $3000 at the moment

We are using socketmail as it has pop3 for users and can handle more than one domain. Finally got it working today bar the pop3 daemon, ironically enough.

If it does not pass some prelaunch testing then will ask the programmer to incorporate that script code.

You can get it over at hotscripts. Not really program as such and I would not want to use it as is. But gives the commands to integrate the function into a user system or such.

In fact looking there are a couple of them.
    http://www.scriptsearch.com/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=8124
    http://lucidstorm.com/SoftThunder/index.php
    http://www.terra-bit.com/download/

As I say not tried them yet so no idea if they work. Looks like it is actually quite simple to program a function to do it.

Thanks for the info regards the programs. :-)

James

Thanks for sharing
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Or even simpler:
    PHP Code:
    <?
    ########################################
    ## CPanel e-mail adding script

########################################
    ## Configuration, edit these values
    $host "host.com"# Change to your domain or CPanel host
    $skin "default"# Change to the skin you use for CPanel
    $user "user"# Change to your CPanel username
    $pass "pass"# Change to your CPanel password
    $domain "host.com"# Change to the domain you are adding an e-mail to.
    $email "test"# Change to the e-mail account you are adding
    $emailpass "test"# Change to the password for the new e-mail account
    $quota 10# Change to the quota (in megabytes) to give to the new e-mail

##################################################  ############
    ## Actual script, no more editing required
    $fp fsockopen($host2082);
    $auth $user.":".$pass;
    $pass base64_encode($auth);
    $in "GET /frontend/$skin/mail/doaddpop.html?email=$email&domain=$domain&password=$emailpass&quota=$quota\r\n HTTP/1.0\r\nAuthorization: Basic $pass \r\n";
    fputs($fp,$in);
    fclose($fp);
    ?>
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

how to make the user fill the user/pass field fom <input boxes

Thanks in advance

Well I am not a programmer, but I think just a form and pass the form textfield variable onto the php function...or pass the form info into a database and then carry out any functions with that info. Then you could build a whole upgrade system I bet.

Since you must be able to use something like this to alter the quotas of inidividual account. Really I wonder if there is not a full API for Cpanel...

I will have to ask our programmer. :-)