looking for a script for managing content..

Hi Guys,
    I have been looking around for awhile now and I just can't seem to find a good script that can maintain an a database of articles. We are making a content based site that will have articles written by our staff member so preferrably, this script should have an admin area. These articles will then be indexed from the website.

Thanks alot.

Cheers

Hi we are nearly done delvoping a new site and tested a bunch of cms solutions.

We ended up with our own cms and database, but for articles we used Article Manger from Interactive tools. Very nice interface and easy to customise.

The only downside was that we needed to integrate articles to our item database, since AM is flat file we had to use their api to import it to mysql. Easy enough to do though and they have great support. Mysql version on the way.

It is written in perl but really whether php or perl was irrelevant to us.

Other ones we have tried include coranto, mambo, writing a zope app, plus all the phpnuke varieties.

What I like about AM is that is well set up for newspaper style article management. In combination with our own programming has worked out a treat. Very flexible and the templating is a joy to use compared with some of the others.

Thats my experience anyway.

Good luck

James

PHP-Nuke, e107, geek-log to name but three, there are a lot out there.
    personally I have used e107 and find it very good and easy to use, although I don't personally know about the others I don't think theres a lot of performance difference between them, just personal preference.
    I tried signing my name with my mouse but it didn't work...............

Article Manager is way too pricey for our purpose and it also seems way too advanced for our needs

What are these kinds of scripts called?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Fatty
    Hi we are nearly done delvoping a new site and tested a bunch of cms solutions.

We ended up with our own cms and database, but for articles we used Article Manger from Interactive tools. Very nice interface and easy to customise.

The only downside was that we needed to integrate articles to our item database, since AM is flat file we had to use their api to import it to mysql. Easy enough to do though and they have great support. Mysql version on the way.

It is written in perl but really whether php or perl was irrelevant to us.

Other ones we have tried include coranto, mambo, writing a zope app, plus all the phpnuke varieties.

What I like about AM is that is well set up for newspaper style article management. In combination with our own programming has worked out a treat. Very flexible and the templating is a joy to use compared with some of the others.

Thats my experience anyway.

Good luck

James

Don't look for a way out.

Well I guess it is not the cheapest, but you get a lot of support.

You should search under content management solutions. There are literally hundreds but it can get frustrating finding one to suit your needs.

I recommend installing a bunch of them and testing them out before setting up a whole site with it.

There is a site that lists many of them but I forget the url. Someone might be able to help.

The things to think about are how busy will the site be and so how scalable is the cms as well as support, customisation (some churn out very generic sites) and also check that developent is active so you are not left high and dry when a php, mysql or apache upgrade comes out.

James

Originally posted by RDX1
    www.MiraServer.com
    pretty expensive as well but looks good, are they all in this price ranges?

BTW, what's this type of script called?

Nah lots of them are free written to various degrees of competency.

Content management solutions or cms is what they are usually called :-)
    I should add if you are after something simple try some searches on news scripts.

Some of these cms are full blown site maangement and others simple news scripts. Really the more control and features then the more work you will have to do to set it up.

I would list out exactly what you need to be able to do then look through the various free/paid solutions and try them out on your server.

Personally Ive used POSTnuke and PHPnuke, i liked phpnuke better tho, more add-ons and such. As for a scripts regarding article work... Ive never used anything like that.Try www.hotscripts.com or google, i suppose.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

thanks,
    if anyone finds a good free system, please let me know

It's called a CMS (Content Magament System) I use Miraserver and it's great.
    Don't look for a way out.

Hmm... I think "Fatty" is thinking of http://opensourcecms.com

You can try many open source CMS systems there. Excellent stite.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

OOps yes Systems :-) and yes that was the site I think. Lots to play with and try out.

thanks alot guys

My type: www.vezine.com :p

If you're looking for a full fledged CMS, try PostNuke or PHPNuke. If you're looking for just a news manager that you can seperate articles into different categories, try CuteNews or Coranto.