Whats a good bigscreen HDTV to get.

I was wondering what a good HDTV would be to get. I'm looking for a big screen. I was originally thinking of getting a plasma but it would be pointless because we already have a 42" in the family room and since the rooms are so close it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to get another one. Also surround sound is an issue I already have surround sound in one room just want a big screen HDTV for family room. Viewing distance is about 12 feet, any suggestions?

Oh and I'm looking for something from 1,000-8,000 dollars.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

I have a 36" HDTV from panasonic, I like it.

Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I bought a Sony and it is great. No issues what so ever on it and the picture is great. They say Zenith actually is producing the best HDTVs, but I usually just buy Sony as all of my home electronics match.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

You guys got any prices? I was looking into LCD but my mother has a large LCD screen in her room and at times it looks like stuff has a trailing effect... I don't think LCD is HDTV though.
    Nationhosts, LLC

The newer LCD's are good, you do still get some bluring, but this is also present on a CRT, so I guess it's just my cable box is too slow to produce a decent picture :-( Plug in a DVD or use the tuner and it's spot on and no visible blur.

The Toshiba 51H83 51" HDTV-Ready TheaterWide Projection TV is $1600 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nics&n=1104856

I always buy toshiba tvs, 3 of the 4 in my house are toshiba.
    I still have a 20'' toshiba tv from 1993 working like new.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well the LCD in that room isn't using a HDTV satalite box just a standard one, only one using a HDTV satalite box is the plasma.
    Nationhosts, LLC

jee price looks nice but isn't that a bit to big for my viewing distance? I know from my room where the plasma is I'm at about 12 feet and if you get about 5-8 feet you can see the pixels. That wasn't a cheap tv either =/
    Nationhosts, LLC

LCD is still rather poor quality I feel. I have 2 17" LCD's in bedrooms here, one Sony and one Philips. Neither of them are anywhere near as good quality as the Hitatchi Plasma I have downstairs. That is HDTV ready, just a shame I'm in the UK where they are not taking advantage of it yet!
    Steve

12 feet are like 3 meter, right?
    If yes, then, that's the same distance that I have it from the armchair from where I see TV, and is Ok.

I used to have a toshiba 55'' (no HDTV) at the same distance and it was fine too, I don't like too much the plasma tvs definition, never has one though.

Most plasmas aren't HDTV, rather standard or EDTV, if you get a HDTV plasma they tend to be around 8,000 and up in price.
    Nationhosts, LLC

My Plasma is HDTV ready and was about $4500, it got the "Best Buy" award for 2003 in various UK Magazines and I think the picture quality is excellent.

Even the 17" Philips LCD is HDTV ready and that was about $1000. I would never buy a larger screen LCD though because it's just not that great quality, most noticeable when watching fast moving sports (like football) or when there is text scrolling accross the screen. With the Plasma I would say from the same distance the quality is almost the same as a regular CRT.
    Steve

DLP offers the best quality, and is fairly affordable.

I heard bad things about DLP, mainly you have to replace a bulb every 400 hours?
    Nationhosts, LLC

We have a 55 inch Mitsubishi Platinum Elite or something along those lines. It has the HDTV box built in, and it is a very, very nice screen to look at while watching hdtv.

I have a Mitsubishi 55413 55". Had it since September and I love it. For $1,799 you can get a Mitsubishi 55313 55" which is the step right below mine, although 90% of people probably couldn't tell between the picture quality of the 2.

Mitsubishi RPTV's are one of the most if not the most reliable brands. Several brands including Sony and Toshiba have issues with things going wrong such as screen flickering and a few other things..been so long since I researched TV's for my purchase I don't remember the details. The best brand is supposed to be the Pioneer Elite but they are very expensive, in the $5k range I think. Hitachis are also great, I couldn't decide between Mitsubishi or Hitachi but my decision ended up being easy because the Hitachi's size was about 2 inches wider and wouldn't quite fit in the space it needed to go.

As for screen size, I sit 10-11 feet eye to screen. That is far enough for a 65" and I'd have one if there was room. Not great for that size and distance for analog cable but for HDTV and DVD is certainly is. At your distance I think it would be nuts to go for anything under 55", even at that size at 12 feet you will lose immersiveness..if that is something you care about.

Mitsubishis also have an easy to remove screen cover, not all brands are easy to remove. I'd recommend taking it off unless you have kids or pets who might scratch the screen. Makes all the difference in the world IMO taking the glare screen off.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

I don't have kids but I have birds that constantly fly into things. I also have a younger brother who happens to throw crap around the house whenever he doesn't get what he wants. He's already wrecked one of the plasma screens I had which was a older Daewoo model by throwing a chair into the screen. So bought the Samsung Plasma for about 3,700 which isn't HDTV but picture looks beautiful, it's an EDTV which is close to the quality of an HDTV. As for viewing distance yes quality is a HUGE issue to me, it doesn't have to be the best in the world but anything over 1,000 dollars for a tv I should be expecting a nicer picture than a CRT.
    Nationhosts, LLC

Is it HDTV capable if you had a HDTV tuner? That is how mine is. I don't figure I'll ever use a tuner that comes in the TV, will always either have a cable box or satellite box.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

I really don't know, I know quite a few plasmas don't have a tuner built in. Mine has one but I just have it going through the box with the AVS inputs guess I could try it sometime...
    Nationhosts, LLC

We have an RCA DLP that has a built-in tuner. What surprises me is you can get over the air stations that are usually blurry in our area. Some stations also put rediculos stuff on the sub-channels, for example the local ABC station puts their Doppler map with the sound feed from their MW station on the sub-channel.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.