Question How do I make my domain registration private on WHOIS?

I am keen on protecting my privacy. I realize it is the law by some international domain registrar to have all domain names public records via WHOIS. This is something that concerns me because I have safety issues that I do not want certain people to find out where I currently live.

I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to keep prying eyes out of my life. I don't want to have to get a different phone line, a PO box, etc. The cost all adds up.

First of all, is it acceptable to put fake names, phone numbers, and addresses on your domain registration? How do I control the spam; should I put down a Yahoo or Hotmail account and ignore the spam?

One thing that I have noticed and am keenly interested in is private registration where your domain name is registered by proxy and your personal information such as home, phone, and email are private so one doesn't get the spam and tele-marketing that I've seen posted elsewhere in the forums. I saw this via godaddy.com, but I didn't register because I'm not certain what happens to the domain control if it is by proxy.

My question is whether I should get this private domain name registration, and how much can I expect to pay per year? I'm in Canada and I am uncertain how I can ensure the registration information from my domain name is not made public.

namecheap.com registerfly.com enom.com godaddy.com domainsbyproxy.com offers private registrations with diff. pricing.

compare and see the one that suits you.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

So putting down a fake name, address, phone number, and email is not going to work when I register a domain name?

It might until someone reports you. Then they could take it away.

AND

Stay on top of the laws, because they're changing...

http://wired.com/news/politics/0,128...w=wn_tophead_1

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:h.r.3754:/

(And at least a couple other Bills that are moving through right now.)

Joe

bad idea to lie about it!

very bad idea.

a had a client lose a name for that.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Yeeks!

Definitely don't want that happening to me. It is just I don't want people knowing where I live and spamming me with viruses and telemarketing. I'm setting up a personal web site for an e-portfolio and family newsletters so commiting fraud is the farthest thing from my mind.

I happen to be in Canada so I am not sure how those bills would affect me, but better to be safe than sorry!

I just happen to have some characters from my past that kind of like to keep track of me (I'm sure most women would understand this) even though I've asked them to not contact me any more. I want to ensure my identity and self are safe so even if these people know about my web site (which would be accessible through googling my name anyway) they wouldn't be able to show up at my door or telephone me because they could not get the information from WHOIS.

Even though I have chosen a web hosting company (see previous postings), I have yet to register my domain name because I am trying to figure out how to ensure WHOIS protection/privacy. I was going to register a domain name with the company and I was doing a domain name search to see what was available, and I was surprised to see how much information is on a WHOIS record.

I did say I was new to this world of web hosting and domain names. I had no idea such information is available once someone knows a domain name!

Now I have to re-think how I am going to protect myself if I cannot use a fake address and telephone number. I thought I could register with my actual information and change to an anonymous address after registering but that's the same as a fake address.

I also doubt this WHOIS protection is available for .ca names. It says it is not available for all TLDs. I wanted a .ca name so my attempts to have WHOIS privacy might be moot.

Any ideas you can suggest to this Canadian who wants a .ca domain name and WHOIS privacy would be much appreciated!

I wonder if private users, not looking for scams or anything against anyone would get in any trouble for your same purpose. can they get fined? I do konw that you don't actually "OWN" the name if you put false information .

private registration is not false info its their own valid info, i think as per terms&conditions of the private registration provider, if legal agency came and asked for your info because of fraud ir terror they might release you info.

need to read their T&C pretty good.
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

I think I found the answer!!

Check out this web site.

http://service.domainsatcost.ca/cgi-...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

Is this the same as what's being offered by these places:

https://registrar.godaddy.com/dbp.as...rog_id=GoDaddy

http://www.networksolutions.com/en_U...kid=1000000000

http://www.registerfly.com/protectfly/index.php

I also found this one http://www.whoisprotector.com/ but it sounds like it is an expensive thing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated here.

Although I havent gotten a chance to use them yet it may be worthwile to look into: www.idotz.net << Private registration for 8.00/yr, just registration 8.75, and they accept paypal . (only thing I dont like about them is you have to pay for domain locking)

I use whoisguard at namecheap and like it the best of them all. I think they have a sale now.

fewcoin

I am suprised .ca names can use whois protection since they are so strict. Personally I use Protectfly on my names, for about a buck you cannot go wrong
    Domain Maven

I registered my .ca domain through domainsatcost.ca and selected the privacy.ca function. My domain is already listed on WHOIS and I'm just awaiting the parking of my domain at the web hosting company so I can get it up and going.

I believe this was the best way to go for my .ca domain as I am already listed in WHOIS, but my technical and administrative information is listed with the privacy.ca contact information instead of my home address and phone number. The only difference is my actual name is listed as the company. Technically I am still the owner of the domain and I am okay with that!

I definitely would go with a place like godaddy.com or namescheap.com for a TDL such as .info, .com, or .net because privacy.ca only works for .ca domains.

Another thing I found out from my web hosting company is as long as you are hosting with them they will put their company name and contact addresses as the administrative and technical contact for the company "your name" but that only works as long as you remain with that web host company.

Whatever you do, don't enter false information into your WHOIS info. Although few people report, if you are reported your domain can be terminated instantly.

The privacy.ca information is legit (at least I hope it is!), and my name is my real name so I believe all is well!

It is not the end of the world if the domain name is terminated. I'm not a company so I wouldn't lose any business.

Country code registries are bound by their own rules and their country's national legislation when it comes to things like publishing Whois information. ICANN can NOT overrule national legislation of a sovereign state (however much it might like to!)

For example, UK legislation affords private individuals an absolute right to not have their personal details published without their consent - which is why the .uk registry has many entries saying "THE REGISTRANT IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ELECTED TO HAVE THEIR ADDRESS OMITTED FROM THE WHOIS DATABASE" (sorry about the capitals, text pasted straight from the Whois!).

What happens under .ca is subject to Canadian law, and one must not assume that the GTLD rules automatically apply. While it is highly likely that CIRA (the Canadian registry) requires registrants to provide valid contact information one cannot automatically assume that failure to do so will result in automatic termination just because that's how it works in the GTLD world. The definitive answer to this can probably be found at www.cira.ca

About RegisterFly....

They offer the privacy feature for only $.99 per domain, which is much cheaper than most. You can even purchase "packs" of 10, 20, etc. so that you could have them in reserve to use on your future registrations as well, which is helpful in case they decide to raise the price later.

Hi,

What if I simply enter something along the lines of "Private, email for details" ?

not allowed as per ICANN rules to put false info

If they send out an invalid whois report to your registrar they have only 15 days or so to resolve it before the name can be suspended. With the low cost of the service it is worthwhile
    Domain Maven

One approach would be to use privacy protection agents like PrivateFly through RegisterFly or DomainsByProxy through Godaddy. Maybe others whose names I don't know. The agents post their data on the Whois for your domain, and they keep your data on file. The ones named have so stern acceptable use policies, so they are not meant to be havens for spammers or other misconduct.

Another way to protect an address you dearly want to keep away from spammers is to create addresses that you are willing to sacrifice. List that on the Whois. If the spammers get one, change the Whois to a new one. Don't cancel the old one until the new Whois data is confirmed. Having a correct, working email address connected to the Whois is not only the rule, it will be of practical importance. Things like transferring domain usually require email confirmation. The email gets sent to the address listed in the Whois. If that one doesn't work, correcting problems gets much more difficult.

good point by disgruntled go with the services that have clear and rigid policies in place.
    Domain Maven