Moving to a dedicated server

Hi, I was hoping i could get some advice on this issue.

I am currently on a reseller account and paying almost the same amount I would if I were on a 1and1.com Root Server I dedicated account. So obviously I'm thinking of moving over to a dedicated server however I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

I am not an expert in managing linux servers, but am willing to learn, I have a very small business right now with only a few clients so I'm thinking of going with an unmanaged server, would you recommend this or should I go to a managed server?

Secondly, i've read some past posts on here about experiences with 1and1.com overall they seem like a decent company, if anyone who hasn't, would like to share their experience with a cheap dedicated server they are with feel free to recommend them to me.

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Re: Moving to a dedicated server

Originally posted by Coeus
    I am not an expert in managing linux servers, but am willing to learn, I have a very small business right now with only a few clients so I'm thinking of going with an unmanaged server, would you recommend this or should I go to a managed server?
    I'd recommend a managed provider at this stage, but not 1&1's managed servers, as you have next to no control on those servers, and cannot run a hosting business off of them. What is your budget currently, and what server specs do you need? There are many good managed providers out there.

-Josh

If you have a small business with just a few clients I would suggest you start with a VPS solution at a place like ServInt servers. You can get a fully managed VPS with root access all for much less than a dedicated server would cost you.

You can then easily grow into a fully managed dedicated server with them as your business grows. They are a good company with a strong network, I think you would be quite happy in their hands...

http://www.servint.com/whtvps/

That's the VPS page for WHT users
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Recently moved to ServInt and am extremely happy versus using a reseller account.
    More work but more control.

I was wondering if I can get the reasons why ServInt would be for me?

It seems to offer a lot less for the same price as the Root Server I with 1and1.com and I've seen other companies as well that offer more than the ServInt VPS packages for the same price.

Just curious, because i may have a small clientbase but a few will require quite a bit of webspace and bandwidth which servint seems to be lacking in their offers.

Originally posted by nickn
    http://www.servint.com/whtvps/

That's the VPS page for WHT users
    Since the initial request was for a dedicated server I thought I'd make my suggestion for a VPS but also provide a link which had both the dedicated server and VPS specials...

You could always get a server at a datacenter of your choice and have another company manage it for you. For what you're looking for (and the budget you have), I'd recommend a closeout server from Nocster if you absolutely want a dedicated server. They're very flexible with upgrades if you ever want to expand to a more powerful server. We effortlessly moved from an Athlon 1800 to a P4 2.4 Ghz (with HT), as they transferred out HD to a new machine, letting us keep the same IPs, and same data on the HD. Other datacenters such as ServerMatrix won't allow you to keep the same IPs when you upgrade your server config.

-Josh

If you do a search on 1 & 1 here you will see many people have waited for days for support from them.

Like what has already been said further up you do not have total control of the server at 1 & 1.