Problem finding host that resolves server test error

Hello,

I have a new ecommerce site that will be relying heavily on google rankings for traffic. I have been having trouble finding a host with a shared web hosting plan that passes the server test at webtamers.com/tools/. The test compares what a spider sees to what a browser sees when loading a website. If their is a discrepancy it may be problematic as google penalizes websites that use cloaking. If anyone has a windows shared hosting plan on a good ISP and is able to run this test without any errors I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. I have tried 5 hosts now and only one passed it. Unfortunately their were other problems with that one that made it unattractive.

To perform the server test you need to go to the above url and enter your url in the 'Check Server' box located on the second row of tools below the Major Search Engines boxes.

My website is currently hosted at crystaltech and the domain name is insidermarketingtips.com. I have experimented with alentus, activehost, and interland without success. The server report as generated for my site while hosted at crystaltech I’ve attached.

I'd really appreciate any help anybody could provide.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is the difference between a dedicated IP address and a shared IP address. There isn't anything fancy about that testing site. I ran our hosting site through it without any problems, however any site I ran through it that had a shared IP fails.

Just ask your host for a dedicated IP address, and don't listen to a bunch of double talk about justification. The only justification you need for a dedicated IP is that you are supposed to use it...

Actually thats what I first thought it was so I've requested a dedicated IP in each case but it hasn't resolved the error with the exception of one host I tried-************. Unfortunately there were some major issues with this host that have lead me to seek another one. Is your hosting site a web hosting company?

rjhut, I've tested the site that you gave me with one of my customer's sites, one that I am personally responsible for as a designer and host. Some of the information that the site gave was absolutely inaccurate, including indicating who the web host is at the end.

I would honestly take that site with a grain of salt. My customer is absolute proof that good SEO development WILL get you indexed. His site is crawled by Google at least once, if not twice a day now, even though we've specifically have told it (via meta tags and robots.txt) to crawl every 15 days. Several key phrases were ranked in the top five, less than three days after being added to the site and SE Optimized. It takes a bit of work on your end, and doesn't reflect on that IP. Dare I mention that my customer is on an IP shared by at least 40 other sites?

It's one of many cases where a shared IP doesn't interfere with search engine optimization. I'll PM you the URL to his site, so you can google him and see where he ranks on several pages, if you want.

It honestly doesn't matter if you're on named based or IP based hosting.. what matters is how your web site is optimized, via meta tags, URL names, URL lengths, relevant content, links, linking to the site and amount of updates. They all factor into the total equation.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas

It honestly doesn't matter if you're on named based or IP based hosting.. what matters is how your web site is optimized, via meta tags, URL names, URL lengths, relevant content, links, linking to the site and amount of updates. They all factor into the total equation.
    Douglas is absolutely right - Also - Shopping carts are notorious for being difficult to get get indexed. phpBB2 shares this problem - its simply the manner in which they are built with respect to the manner in which spiders search sites...

Take a good read on what a group did to optimize phpBB2 - it involved some minor tweaking - but, the results of this work are and will be ALOT more effective then what you are talking about above.. Follow the logic outlined below and apply it to your cart - you will be pleased with the results..

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15132

Hope this helps....
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Originally posted by rjhut
    Actually thats what I first thought it was so I've requested a dedicated IP in each case but it hasn't resolved the error with the exception of one host I tried-************. Unfortunately there were some major issues with this host that have lead me to seek another one. Is your hosting site a web hosting company?
    Yes, one of the sites I ran through that test was our web hosting site, I also ran a couple others through that test as well. Anything with a dedicated IP address seemed to pass, shared IPs seemed to fail.

What I find curious is if you are hosting the exact same site with different hosts and testing it with that link you provided and you are receiving different results.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRN Douglass
    Some of the information that the site gave was absolutely inaccurate, including indicating who the web host is at the end.
    I tested a few sites there and the "Hosted By" bit was the same for all the sites I tested, it was a plug for that test site...

Gargoyle absolutely correct php is Very hard to get hit by a search engine the code is much harder to read then standard html pages that is why many php sites are making scripts to transform into more "Google" friendly web site. Google Tap is a script for PhP-Nuke and phpbb I beleave. So please keep that in mind when testing your site.

Regards,
    Lee
    DSL WebHosting Solutions
    Fast Affordable WebHosting Solutions
    24/7/365 Support

DSLWeb, I hate to break it to ya....

Go to Google. Do a search for "Jay Decima". No, this is NOT my customer, however, he's profiled on my customer's site... back on topic. DSLWeb, my client's site is guaranteed to be on the top five listing... and even though the page indicated ends in .html, it's not an .html page, it's a PHP (mod_rewrite rocks!).

Whether a page is coded in HTML or PHP makes no difference, it's how you have the end result displayed that matters.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas

Whether a page is coded in HTML or PHP makes no difference, it's how you have the end result displayed that matters.
    Hi Douglas - completely agree

Originally posted by DSLWeb
    Gargoyle absolutely correct php is Very hard to get hit by a search engine
    I never said anything about php

The original posters comments was with respect to a shopping cart, and I believe its an ASP one at that. Shopping carts are traditionally very difficult to get spidered properly (whether they be php or asp). The links and their structure seem to throw the spiders off in all sorts of whacky directions and the site never gets indexed properly. The easiest way to deal with this is appropriate exclude statements in robots.txt - Guide spiders where you want them to go.

Other things you can do is to "re-organize" your link structure in your cart - again, to guide the robots.

Take a good read on the link I posted above - the logic used by this team was simply brilliant - they have 1000's of phpbb2 pages indexed and no one has even come close to their success. Thankfully they shared their reasoning and this same logic can easily be applied to carts - whether they be php or asp...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Hi Again,

Thanks everybody for the insights regarding the server test.

In response to Watcher_TVI's reply, I have also noticed that shared IPs always fail but the problem I'm finding is not all dedicated IPs pass. I'm not sure if its related to the server OS but I've been able to find only one host running Windows that passes. That was the one I mentioned I had other problems with. Although it seems from some of the replies to my post that their may be no problem regardless, the SEO who optimized my site has experienced problems with promotions for sites that didn't pass and has advised me strongly to find an ISP that can provide an account with an IP that will.

If anyone knows of such an ISP running windows I would still really appreciate hearing about it...

I am running linux, have a dedicated IP, and pass with flying colors.

This problem must be common with windows host.