Invision Board vs phpbb

I am going to add a discussion board to my website. The host I am planning to go with (micfo.com) offers Invision and phpbb. I do not have much knowedge when it come to coding (I use Dreamweaver to develope just basic sites) so I need something easy to use.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Both scripts are excellent programs, however, I feel that Invision Power Board is still a few notches above phpBB. IBP has hundreds of features and the 2.0 version looks amazing!

Personally, I prefer Invision Board also. It has alot more features and as phpcoder said, version 2 looks very good.

Invsion is a darn good board, but then again so is phpBB... I'd take Invision over phpBB though- lots of developer activity and a feature packed system.

Just to add, both of the boards offer a good ability to customize, but I think Invision's got the upper hand as it seems a bit cleaner and easier to work with the templating system.
    Burn

I'll take Ikonboard tee-hehe j/k

Invision here also.

Second choice Ikonboard

Joe

invision all the way v2 is a killer.

note: I like vbullentin better than both :p

I've always preferred the style of PHPBB better, but that's always customizable.

I agree completely with whdev IPB all the way! Well, unless you want VBulliten

I strongly recommend IPB over phpBB. It appears to have less bugs and a more active developers. It is also, IMO (and I know some disagree), much more user friendly from the admin/mod panel, than phpBB.

In an ideal world, we should all be using vBulletin (especially now v3 is out, it totally kills any competition, both paid and free), however $85/$160 is a bit more than many small companies can afford - I think a leased monthly license would be much appreciated by many.

If its between invision and phpbb, id choose invision but if not then nothing beats vbulletin!

IPB ofcourse

I am with Micfo also. I originally installed phpbb, but have changed to invision. It does seem more people friendly, but the main reason I changed is because I wanted to approve postings before they appear on the forum. You can do this with invision. To do it with phpbb, you have to upload several changes. I have invision board 1.3 through Fantastico, but I am not sure if I can upgrade to version 2 since it is through Fantastico or if Micfo would do that for me. By the way, the support group at Micfo is really helpful.

Don't you guys think phpBB is too much complicated with features?

If you want something feature-rich and free, go for InvisionBoard - especially version 2.. If you want something VERY simple - go with phpBB.. From experience, I've had more issues with stability using Invision Board 1 than with phpBB..

Otherwise, vBulletin is my first choice.. It's a damn shame that Infopop isn't even mentioned in comparisons anymore. Not that I care - they're not at the top of that game anymore...

IPB all the way...!!

btw, isn't the biggest forum running phpbb?

I like the available Styles in phpbb, i m using it from 6months and have not have any problems.

i like phpbb cause its open source and free
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

IPB is overbloated with features you'll never need, its ugly and its not free. phpBB is simple, easy to use and free. So of course choice is phpBB.

P.S. for those who argue that IPB is free - call IPB and they'll confirm that IPB isn't free. Free trial !== free.

As for IPB, if you can use it for free legally, I don't mind. The only different is no priority support from the company itself, but there are other modes of aid from other websites.

You say that IPB is bloated in terms of features, but it's just inherently better coded. It runs faster and better under high loads out of the box than phpBB can.

Originally posted by ktwilight
    IPB all the way...!!

btw, isn't the biggest forum running phpbb?
    No, http://big-boards.com
    It's bigger than the biggest IPB, but Gaia isn't running phpBB vanilla (out of the box)
    But then, phpBB have been around longer than IPB

2.0 is indeed bloated, but 1.3 is alright
    phpBB2.0 is still missing many important features (avalaible via 3rd party mods/hacks) if you fell like going through the hassle of installing them, I can't help you

If you have a host that offers Fantastico, then Invision Board is free.

*gulps after installing PHPbb2

phpBB2.0 is still missing many important features (avalaible via 3rd party mods/hacks) if you fell like going through the hassle of installing them
    Yeah, for example, you can't even turn off post counts in selected forums, you can't have a quick reply box, both of those can be fixed with 3rd party hacks but IPB comes with those features on a standerd setup, IPB is alot faster than phpbb in my experience and I think its just better, easier to get your head around I think.

IPB is free any way, like someone said, you just don't get support from them, but you can get that at loads of other sites any way. Also you have a small copyright mark at the bottom, which is OK because you don't really notice it, and on a fresh install it says in the title area (Powered by Invision Board) but you are allowed to change that if you know how to.