Arrow Sport News :: Euro 2004 ~ England squad announced. "Alltogether now" COME ON ENGLAND!

These are the 23 players that we hope bring the trophy home.

Coach
    Sven Goran-Eriksson

Goalkeepers
    David James
    Paul Robinson
    Ian Walker

Defenders
    Gary Neville
    John Terry
    Sol Campbel
    Ashely Cole
    Wayne Bridge
    Lesley King
    Jamie Carragher

Midfielders
    Phil Neville
    David Beckham
    Joe Cole
    Nicky Butt
    Kieron Dyer
    Steven Gerrard
    Paul Scholes
    Frank Lampard
    Owen Hargreaves

Forwards
    Emile Hesky
    Michael Owen
    Darius Vassell
    Wayne Rooney

COME ON ENGLAND!

I would've taken Defoe instead of Vassell or maybe one of the central defnders or Dyer, also might've consider Wes Brown for a call up more that he has been. This all said, i think we have enough quality in the First XI to WIN Euro 2004 IMO.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I feel the only area that we are truly lacking quality is the goalkeepers.

I mean 2 out of the 3 keepers have been playing for clubs that have been relegated from the Premiership. Personally I would have taken Nigel Martyn instead of Ian Walker (who IMO has had a terrible season).

I cannot believe that David James is the No 1 goalkeeper in England, he has shown too many times just how bad he can be.

Other than that though I think that we have a good chance of winning the championships.

My bet would be, ITALY will be facing either GERMANY or ENGLAND in the final.

I beleive if David Seaman were to play this championship, England would have much luck winning the title.

ITALY all the WAY!

There are only 2 quality central defenders. I prefer Wes Brown over Ledley King. If Sol Campbell gets injured, you guys are in deep trouble.

Originally posted by Ashed
    There are only 2 quality central defenders. I prefer Wes Brown over Ledley King. If Sol Campbell gets injured, you guys are in deep trouble.
    I agree that if we are forced to dip into some of the squad players too much we might have a problem, however our First XI is stonger now than it was in the World Cup and in S Korea/Japan we reached the Qaruter Finals.

Euro Champs is full of quality, maybe more so than the World Cup but this time around we have 3 players in the starting line up who weren't there in S Korean/Japan; Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville. Neville will hopefully be able to link up with Beckham again like they did at United, Rooney is something many of these teams won't have seen before and is a great prospect now let alone for the future and what Gerrard adds to the midfield is obvious. If Scholes starts scoring for England like he does for United and everything all slots into place i really do think w have the quality to go all the way.

How the first match against France goes will be a good initial test of the team, if we can get a draw or win against the French i don't think it is our quality and ability that we ned to worry about.

I don't want to predict the final, we haven't even got underway yet but of course i'd like England to make it. The Euro Champs are wide open relatively speaking.

Critic,

I'm quite happy about the squad apart from the goalkeepers and strikers. I'm not very happy about Defoe being in there, and we have a lack of solidity up front, we need SHEARER!

The goalkeeper situation for England is quite bad, James has his good and bad days, but we need a goalkeeper that has many good days and few bad days - in Euro 2004, a good goalkeeper will definitely be required; of course Seaman has retired, and Martyn is also ageing. I reckon Paul Robinson has potential, I'd like to see more of him in the future.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

There is only one person missing from that line-up (one of the best central defenders in the world) and thanks to FA's inability to hold there noses up against FIFA the entire England team and nation has to suffer ...

Wes Brown on the other hand should be in, but he has had a season full of injuries I do not blame Eriksson for leaving him out.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

As a spurs fan i may be slightly bias but why isnt defoe going? He has scored in his last few games when was the last time heskey or vassell.

Defoe has scored 6 goals in his 14 appearances at spurs.
    Vassell 9 goals in 32 games
    Heskey 7 goals in 34 games
    Owen 15 goals in 38 games
    Rooney 9 goals in 33 games

how the hell can we get anywhere playing against like henry who as much as i hate to say it has scored 29 goals this season in 36 games.

Defoe has shown alot of talent and potential and i think he is currently in form and the rest aint. Heskey is such a donkey liverpool couldn't wait to get rid of him to birmingham for just £6million. Rooney i feel is very over-rated currently dont see how he worth £25mil. Would rather have alan smith there aswell least he shows a bit of passion.

Joe cole is a good pick imo as is lampard who has probably been chelseas star of the season specially when you see that he has scored 10 goals (more than 3 of the "strikers")

The only players with any passion in them are prolly scholes beckham and gerrard.
    Please visit my auto an up and coming community for all car discussion.

My prefered squad from those players would be:
    If he plays 4-4-2
    Code:
                    James

Neville    Terry    Campbell   Cole

Beckham  Gerrard    Lampard  Bridge 

Owen    Rooney
    Though if he decides to play 4-4-2 diamond then:
    Code:
                James

Neville  Terry   Campbell   Cole

Gerrard

Beckham     Lampard 

Scholes

Owen     Rooney

Originally posted by N9ne
    I'm quite happy about the squad apart from the goalkeepers and strikers. I'm not very happy about Defoe being in there, and we have a lack of solidity up front, we need SHEARER!

The goalkeeper situation for England is quite bad, James has his good and bad days, but we need a goalkeeper that has many good days and few bad days - in Euro 2004, a good goalkeeper will definitely be required; of course Seaman has retired, and Martyn is also ageing. I reckon Paul Robinson has potential, I'd like to see more of him in the future.
    Martyn refused to be involved and after the season Robinson has had I hope James doesn't get injured. Sven has gone for a squad with experience and players who have proved themselves on the international scene and although i find some positions lacking thats really because we don't have those players in the domestic game that are english and suitable for the positions required.

I'll post my starting line up for the France match if everthing stays the same in a minute but what do you lot think of this >>

Sporting Lisbon defender Rui Jorge has been cleared of a doping charge and can now be involved in next month's European championships.

Rui Jorge tested positive for a banned substance contained in an anti-inflammatory steroid medication used for asthma earlier this month. But the Portuguese federation's disciplinary commission ruled that he had not taken the substance deliberately.

"I'm very happy. He's in my squad," said Portugual coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
    Where is Sepp Blatter in this case and the same goes for Dick Pound from WADA, remember all the grandstanding and words in the media that those two had with Rio Ferdinand and Man Utd and The FA ?

Critic,

Originally posted by Umbongo
    My prefered squad from those players would be:
    If he plays 4-4-2
    Code:
                    James

Neville    Terry    Campbell   Cole

Beckham  Gerrard    Lampard  Bridge 

Owen    Rooney
    Though if he decides to play 4-4-2 diamond then:
    Code:
                James

Neville  Terry   Campbell   Cole

Gerrard

Beckham     Lampard 

Scholes

Owen     Rooney

That 4-4-2 line up is very good, but I'd maybe have Joe Cole on the left wing and Bridge on the bench, and have them alternate in matches or something.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>