how far wud u go with allowing "freedom of speech" hosting clients

Hi

Quick Question

how far would most u guys (hosting) companies would go in terms of allowing "freedom of speech on your website"

Say for example u were and american hosting company and u had a client that posted anti american stuff on it wud u allow
    that?

So forth with posting Videos of wars and all..political stuff and all

Does anyone have a good definition on this please?

Just curious up to what extent A person wud allow their host to host such things..

Id like ur opinions please need advice on this issue!

Thanks
    S

Well my opinion, I'd just ban any discussion of anything that would cause fighting, such as politics, religion and which OS you use. I mean, you are trying to run a web hosting forum, not a personal rant board for your customers. I think most folks will respect that.

All depends on the individual Terms of Use (TOU) or Acceptable User Policy (AUP).

Ultimately, the prime concern is whether the material is illegal or not - though in other instances, how offensive is it generally?

Polite discussions are not bad
    --

hi

thanks for your replies

thing is i have someoen that asked me for hosting this person content of website is highly political..and and hard hitting.. but nothing illegal on it...im in 2 minds about it..though...

its may cause offense to people..like certain groups wont like it or anything but it nothing illegal..just the concept of freedom of speech! soi dont really know what to do..

((btw its an Actual website im reffering to here not a forum ))

I guess it's a matter of the host's preferences and terms. Some hosts prohibit these sort of things. Some do.

yups say i came to you and wanted hosting space from u and my site was say for argumetns sake an Anti-Bolivian

my site was critising the bolivian goverment and saying there government was terrorist and all that sorts and all..and bolivians are Evil People...(no offense to anyone just an example)

Sites like these...which im sure many of you know about

wud u host me?

Originally posted by saj
    thing is i have someoen that asked me for hosting this person content of website is highly political..and and hard hitting.. but nothing illegal on it...im in 2 minds about it..though...
    It is up to you ultimately and what you perceive as overboard. Then you also have to consider other clients who may get wind of such a site and not approve.
    I would say if you feel uncomfortable enough about it to ask advice, then don't take this client. Go with your gut feeling

"I disagree with what are saying, but I will defend to my death your right to say it"
    ---- Somebody

Tough question honestly, if they aren't:

1. Breaking the law
    2. Inciting violence
    3. Advocating harm on another

I'd probably host it.

I probably wouldn't host any site that's the least bit controversial. My customers pay me to ensure their sites are up as much as possible. Any time you have a site that's even remotely controversial, you risk that site being targetted for attacks, which then affects other customers on that server.

The most controversial site that I host is one that actively protests the use of Genetically Engineered foods. Because of the nature of his site, he's not been attacked, because he targets grocery stores and scientific laboratories... hardly the type that would launch an attack on a web site. He's probably the most extreme case that I would host.

Beyond that... not a chance that I would host anything more controversial than that. I don't need those kind of attacks, nor do I want them.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

We use the following set of rules on our forums.

Forum Rules .(you must agree to these before joining)

We require all posts to be positive, constructive and on topic (what can the board members help you with?).

Customer support will not be carried out within the Real Web Host Forum. All support requests need to be logged into our Help Desk.

We reserve the right to pull any posting (s) we deem inappropriate, regardless of the rules.

We reserve the right to ban any member who violates the rules. We will be fair and provide warning in most cases.

Things you may do:

You may ask for help and assistance with programs, services and software e.g. how to.

You may post events and happenings in the world regarding the Internet or Web Hosting.

Answer questions and concerns to help fellow members.
    If a post requests information about a product or service you sell, you may answer the question and provide appropriate links.

4 line signatures are allowed for displaying names, e-mails addresses and phone numbers. No blatant advertising please.

A little fun is okay...bantering, getting to know each other. Please keep it positive and clean.

Things you may not do:

You may not advertise or promote other web hosting or registration companies or their programs.

You may not make personal attacks on others.

You may not complain. Complaints are not constructive. If you have a complaint about us or our service, please post it on our Help Desk, so we can actively and constructively work with you to resolve your concerns.

You may not use profanity. It is unprofessional and offensive and will not be tolerated.

You may not make blatant advertising posts.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

Originally posted by saj
    ((btw its an Actual website im reffering to here not a forum ))

LOL...

guess he/she might have just skimmed thru this thread thus a bit off...

Yes Did not see it, Remove above thread please if you see fit
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

A controversial website, like Douglas noted, might bring in unwanted problems. High risk websites would not be entitled for regular hosting (if I were a host). I would most likely not host them at all, or ask for a higher price to sort of "cover the risk".

It is your right to select your clients as you see fit. Use that to your advantage. Being politically correct doesn't mean much when you're a business; business is about money and whatever doesn't make sense from a financial point of view is a no-no. Just my opinion.

"illegal or not " is the key words.
    Hell, American Idol pisses me off!
    But, I bet many hosting companies would love to have the account!
    No, it is not me!
    No, I did not do it!

I would base my judgement on whether the content was illegal or not, or if it broke the terms of the hosting agreement that the client signed up to. Then it is not a question of personal morality. If you think you are going to shift moral or political opinions by withdrawing hosting services I think you're on a hiding to nothing.

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    I probably wouldn't host any site that's the least bit controversial. My customers pay me to ensure their sites are up as much as possible. Any time you have a site that's even remotely controversial, you risk that site being targetted for attacks, which then affects other customers on that server.

The most controversial site that I host is one that actively protests the use of Genetically Engineered foods. Because of the nature of his site, he's not been attacked, because he targets grocery stores and scientific laboratories... hardly the type that would launch an attack on a web site. He's probably the most extreme case that I would host.

Beyond that... not a chance that I would host anything more controversial than that. I don't need those kind of attacks, nor do I want them.
    I agree with the host above.... look at what happened to gearhost.com today... someone posted something on thier site and gearhost was down for at least 4 hours due to an attack.

I believe in freedome of speech, but when it ruins your business... then again, freedom is not free... where did I hear that from?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!