Updating a kernel

I'm eagerly awaiting the deployment of a dedicated server, but it will be running version 2.2.22 of the Linux Kernel (I believe that's the vanilla release version with Debian 3r2).

I've only ever used a VPS before in a hosting environment. In general, how do kernel upgrades go in a dedicated hosting environment? In particular, I'm looking to move to the latest stable 2.4.x kernel (2.4.26 I believe).

If you're paying a setup fee, then I don't see that it's unreasonable to expect the latest stable kernel to be intslled as part of setup.

Otherwise, check with the DC, they may upgrade it to a stock kernel for you.

Do a search here or Google, there's many articles on kernel rebuilds. Build a local replica of your server and do the upgrade there first.

Alternatively, there's several security companies who post on WHT who will do it for a fee and install software firewall etc...

Cool, I'm ok rebuilding the kernel and I'll build a VMWare machine as close to possible to run through the upgrade, I'm just worried about what happens if there are problems during the boot, requiring me to get someone to go in and sort it out.

Anyway, I'll speak to the hosts and see what they say, just wondered if there was a norm and what it was

If you're concerned whether it'll come back up with no issue, how's about building the kernel, installing and then requesting the DC do a reboot, then can than reboot it for you on the default kernel if the new one fails.

Is that kind of responsibility normally accepted by hosts? That you can get them to reboot choosing a different kernel to boot into if necessary?

I.e., I build a new kernel, set it as the default, and then ask them to reboot, if it fails during the boot they are then asked to reboot again and choose the different kernel from within LILO etc.?

Unless you have KVM over IP, then you'll have to get the tech in the DC to do the 2nd reboot if it fails to boot OK. If you can get them to do the initial reboot, they'll (hopefully) wait about until it's completed it's boot and if instructed beforehand I guess most will reboot it and select a default kernel for you. Less downtime if you don't come back up after the reboot.

Might wanna contact thelinuxguy on the forums for help - he does great work!
    Max
    Web Hosting Talk Community Guide