Howmany clients per server max?

How many cclients per customer you maximum keep?. And how much do you make out of each server?

I don't think there is any set number of clients for a server. It really depends on what the sites are doing. For example, we had a brand new server once and had a new order. We put the client on it and 24 hours later he had maxed the server out with his site (the server was a slow P4). He was running a rotating ad for a busy site doing multiple mysql calls and scriping to serve his other dedicated server. Needless to say one client consumed the entire server. Now you could literally put thousands of one page sites which have low traffic on the same server. To arbitrarily set a limit really doesn't work; it's kind of like an art form. If service is being affected then you have too many and need to move some. You really have to know what you are putting on, what your server can handle and then watch and react. This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but it is the honest one.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Richard is quite correct, there is not a set number of clients per server. It simply depends upon what type of sites are on the server. One server might hold 1000 websites whereas in another case on server might hold one very busy website. You just must simply keep an eye on the server and know when you should not add more.

okey forget about the first question. What would be the your estimated profit out of one server?

Same here for my new servers, normally I keep an eye on it, until I find that the server is sufficiently full in terms of memory usage, CPU usage. Thats what I consider full, no fixed formula for that.

It all depends on your pricing server specifications blah blah blah There is no magic formula.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Pricing is the same way. It would vary depending upon what your situation is with the websites. Just as a very general estimate, you'd more than likely want to pull at least a few hundred off of each box (completely general).

In my opinion, it can all depend on just what your own target is, aswell as your pricing strategy and overall setup.

To all intents and purposes, a single server should earn it's keep, x4/x5.

It can all depend on your pricing though

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Yep, and the less clients per server, the better.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yep, and the less clients per server, the better.
    Definitely.

'Less is more'

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I would have to concur with that statement. The less...the merrier...or something.

Greetings:

RE: How many clients per server max?

How many people can you fit into a room?

Please search the forums as this is one of the most often asked quesiton that has been dealt with thousands of times over the years.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I once hired a freelance admin from around these forums who informed me that anything more than 100 domains, no matter what the specs of the box, meant that the machine was grossly overloaded.

Needless to say, he was never hired by us again.

Greetings Andrew:

The numbers will vary.

We've seen servers go to overload when you add the 5th; and other servers where you could have close to 1,000.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Maybe a better question would be,
    C/S=A

C=total Clients
    S=total Servers
    A=Average clients per server

Understanding that yes sometimes 1 client can overload a server, it is amazing that there is an average number of clients a server can handle (ON THE AVERAGE) it equally interesting at just how close most companies are on this number.

Wink

Lower is definitely better, I think a good target is around 300 per server but I know a host who has more and still has a low server load.

It really depends on the type of people you are hosting and whether or not they are resource intensive, so I guess this can't be decided as a general rule.

The questions seems to keep popping up. The answer:

It depends upon your business plan.

If you don't intend on overselling, than simply divide up your bandwidth/diskspace into reasonable plans and figure out the cost of sustaining that server (plus overhead), and amortize the cost of that server between the accounts you'd put on the machine.

If you plan on overselling, I'd very strongly convince you to model your plan (estimate what the actual usage of your server's resources are against the potential clients, and figure in server instablitity due to overselling). The better you can model the overselling, the clearly the number of clients you can put on the machine will be.

Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out