help with business plan

hi all nice site here
    what I have going on is I do home pc repair as a paid hobby because I enjoy computers. I have been self employed in the body shop industry for 20yrs but am always looking for an opportunity to expand my hobby into a career.
    I was asked by a friend to do some research on an idea, he is a 20yr+ IT pro self employed big money type who does allot of network installs and consulting also has a server business on the side web hosting and e-mail serving mostly. Anyway since I love online gaming he asked me to research game hosting for him. I have done allot of reading on this sight and much of the info is over my head so it is hard for me to break down startup cost,gross/net,bandwidth needs and such.
    We are on the west coast and have a T1 line to build a test server on and if the numbers could work we would add another T1 or upgrade to a T3 to dedicate to game hosting. He would provide the technical expertise for the money and I would provide Tech support (after much study and training) out of love for the games and the industry.
    Can I get a basic breakdown of startup cost, going rates,most profitable server configs and games. Thank you in advance for any input
    Warm Regards
    Tracy AKA Fondoo

wow and I was worried about getting flammed for my noob post but getting egnored is even worse lol

Maybe you should have asked this in a gaming community forum or a hardware forum http://www.hardwarepapers.com/

I found these links where you can get info on buying/cost of servers http://www.infoquest.com/application/smartserver.asp
    services.superb.net

hope it helps.

thx yaser I was just thinking maybe I should go to a battlefield 1942 specific sight since that will be the first game for my test server

You would be running only computer games where people can play online?

Right now we have a T1 doing web page hosting and e-mail serving to corporate accounts. I would like to do a test server on that line and see how it goes. if all went well we would add another T1 or upgrade the existing line to T3. Basically I am doing the research for a project for me and a friend to team up on. He already does web page and e-mail serving as a side business mostly doing network installs and security work for law firms and such full time. I am just looking for some help in boiling down the #'s in the game serving startup/gross/net going rates and such. Maybe my questions are too general.
    I have been in the auto body business for 19yrs and could give startup cost/gross/net info off the top of my head in my field easy but need help with this, much of the info is scattered and trying to figure up bandwidth needs/cost and equipment/tech support cost per account is hard for me so I could use an industry pro to give me a laymen's breakdown please

Bandwith needs for gaming websites could be from 40GB upto 80 GB depending on how much traffic you generate. If you have forums and games then it would be that much, the longer you will be in the business the more people would come and gaming sites usually are heavy traffic especially on Sundays since many people are home so that day you could expect to use most of your resources. You should go in for a dedicated server www.serverbeach.com www.affinity.com

Equipment costs would be around 1K to 2K for starting up because you will buy your racks/servers and storage costs.

Tech support costs, you can employ some one or if you are there then it would be reduced as you wont have to pay anyone, im not very sure of tech costs but if you want to outsource them then www.tripodsolutions.com Support cost per account could depend on how much your cost of acquisition for that client is, how many tickets/support requests you get per day, lots of factors but could be starting from 100$ onwards.

Dont take my estimates as final, cost depends from host to host as the target market, advertising and other costs are different.

Hope it helps, thanks

Thx Yasor
    We were just looking into this because we already have servers and a T1 at our location and game serving might be good to offer as well so not looking to outsource.
    Anyway I am just a hardware/software game geek trying to research game serving but I may not be qualified to ask the right questions
    thx mate

You should check these websites out

www.vskgamingservers.com
    www.xgamingservers.com

if you need anymore help or clarifications let me know

Yaser

Originally posted by Yaser
    You should check these websites out

www.vskgamingservers.com
    www.xgamingservers.com

if you need anymore help or clarifications let me know

Yaser
    Both of those sites are great ones, I recommend those as well.

Found some more

http://www.servepath.com/land/gaming/index012.htm
    http://www.recongamer.com/gameservers/

ask lots of questions before you choose any one.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Ok my big question is why do I have to hire a provider? My partner already has a good web hosting business from his home. Lets say we have 10 clubs/clans we want to serve in a high bandwith chewing game like BF1942 would a dedicated T1 line not work for west coast customers? (our location is southern CA)
    Thank you again for the input