Enough is enough!!

Having /tmp directory open to everyone is really a very bad idea! Any user can simply upload php/cgi shells to his/her account and starts running illegal programs on /tmp.

How can I prevent users on my server from using shell scripts and executing programs on /tmp?

(I'm already using cgi/PHP Suexec)

Greetings:

There are a number of how to's on forums.ev1servers.net; and probably on WHT if you do a search.

Please note that even with /tmp set up with nonexec, nosuid, a knowledgeable hacker can still run programs in /tmp.

Futhermore, there are other measures that should be taken; security needs to be done in as many layers that work that you can manage through each day.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

dont forget

/tmp, /var/tmp, /var/spool/mail

those are also used.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

there is no way to 100% secure /tmp. at least you could mount it with noexec,nosuid,nodev options, but it won't stop knowledged attacker.

regards,
    M.