can some1 tell me what 51115.com is about?

hi guys,

www.51115.com just signed up to my brother's counter/stats service and they're like 438 in alexa, they've only been up a couple of months!! how on earth did they get so much traffic? i spotted mp3 in there and wondered if it's all legit, could someone tell me please it's chinese.

thanks

aqi

just like http://www.winnipeg.cn I host them but have no idea what it says.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

It's a Chinese website and there are 100,000,000 Chinese-speaking Internet users

The problem with alexa, is it only tracks people with the alexa toolbar and bases a site's rating on that.

The only thing that the alexa rating tells me is that a lot of the site's users have the alexa toolbar. Kinda useless IMO.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

www.51115.com
    => Some sort of portal site that have lots of entertainment (some adult oriented as well) contents. I suspect it is like many of its competitors, got a lot of "fake content" which requests users to sign up to use their system which offers merely links to other sites alike. There must be a lot of link back sites and popunder ads provider, hence for its high alexa rating

www.winnipeg.cn
    => Some sort of stock/fincial site based in Winnipeg. Doesn't look like its got too much contents, so I have no idea how they get such high alexa score... maybe they bundle their software with alexa tool bar and visit their site automatically -.-"

thanks alfarin

linking to adult content doesn't break the counter's tos, but having adult content does.
    Even if it does have some adult content such a big site is bound to go up in PR so i may just leave it be see if it's pr increases enough to benefit me ( i have a noscript link back with my counter code that passes me on PR )

timechange, maybe we should learn chinese and build some decent chinese sites, put some adsense on them

Mgcjerry, i know what you mean, but it's all relative, not all alexa tool bar holders will visit the site, so it still represents a decent enough representation in percentage terms.
    You can't just say that all popular alexa sites are only popular because people will the alexa toolbar visit them!

(leo not aqi32, can't remember the login for my account name, aqi32's my sis )

There are programs that generate false Alexa traffic and boost your rating substantially. That or they really are super popular in China.

programs to generate false Alexa traffic... that's the first time I heard of such a thing... do they actually exist?!?

Originally posted by Alfarin
    programs to generate false Alexa traffic... that's the first time I heard of such a thing... do they actually exist?!?
    Funny you ask.. There is a conversation about 2 threads down..

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=273004
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I'm a little skeptical of that site's claim that their software can increase your Alexa ranking. Alexa counts visitors using their own toolbar, and it should be pretty easy for them (since they can exchange information through that toolbar software) to tell a legit toolbar hit from a fake.

Of course I would lean towards distrusting any claims made by someone who's selling software that generates fake traffic. But maybe I'm too cynical; they might actually be very honorable people.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

hehe, it's the "honest crook" scenario isn't it

Originally posted by aqi32
    hehe, it's the "honest crook" scenario isn't it
    thats what it looks like

It can increase your Alexa rating, probably.

But how does it help having a high Alexa rating? You aren't going to get more sales/useful traffic out of it.

Originally posted by Subhadip
    It can increase your Alexa rating, probably.

But how does it help having a high Alexa rating? You aren't going to get more sales/useful traffic out of it.
    The script and idea of the script originated on Scriptlance I believe. The concept behind the idea was to create a "Turnkey" or Cookiecutter site that produced nothing or was a reseller of someone elses product, the script would then be used to send thousands upon thousands of hits to the site for a small period of time to boost the Alexa ranking. These cookiecutter sites would then be sold on ebay for $1000-$3000 because of unsuspecting buyers actually thinking it was that active and getting that much traffic.

If offered a 3rd party perspective which only aided in the scam. It was exposed and so many people started doing it, that the average scam of that nature today usually features a stolen TM template and only goes for like $50-$100
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters