Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chicago colocation FEEDBACK

Hello, I would like some feedback from the community. I have just occupied space in the chicago technology information exchange or something along those lines. If you are local in chicago the address is 247 S state. This building is supposed to be the most tech advanced building in the city now because the city pumped millions into it. I am currently turning my space into a small to medium size datacenter for colo and dedicated service since my first business was hardware, my minimun dedicated server boxes are going to be nothing less than P4's. My main question is since this comunity has a great influence on my reputation in the future, what carriers would you like to see in this center? It is going 3000 square feet and most all the big name isp's are in the building. i will have two seperate networks, one for my private streaming business and one for the colo and dedicated servers.

Just one more question, would anyone suggest a presale of dedicated servers and colo like 10% off the first 2 months if you commit 2 weeks before we officially open for business? I am hoping to stay competative depending on the kind of pricing i get for the isp's so anywhere from $175 to $250 dollers for RELIABLE 10 meg unmetered. I looking for a perfect reputiation so i will give my word that i will not oversell bandwidth because i was a long time victim of that which is why i trying to provide affordable and reliable unmetered bandwidth.

Sorry for the long post, I need 2 isp's to start so let me know which are the fav's

Would you sell some raw space and power? PM me if you are going to

As with preselling dedicated and colo, they usually won't generate much sales, and it would damage you when you try to ironed out things when you try to start it up.

I dont' know what your cost are, but selling a 10 Meg Unmetered at $175-$250 maybe a bit too low unless you have multi-gig commitments with carrier and are capable of getting quality transit from them at $20/meg or so. But by then, you'll need complex/expensive routers/network infrastructure and you'll find that you're not profiting. Just to let you know, the current market can sustain $350 for 10 Meg Unmetered servers.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

MCI and Abovenet come to mind.

Hmm, I dont have permission to PM yet.

My plans where to provide raw space and power for other people cabanets and things. I am very flexable to stimulate business.

How many Amp's and how much air are you planning to bring into the suite? Any UPS back up and how long?

Is the power and air already in place?

the site has air already but i dont want to rely on it. It was built in some areas of the building to have facilties like this. So things like fire supression and power is in this area of the building that i am in. I am installing an additional cooling unit. All of our dedicated servers will be in cooled rack cab's as well

Shoot an email over to jay@ethr.net

Let's take a look at 100 sq.ft cage + 300 amps of power.
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

for anyone fallowing the thread here, we have choose a gig line from cogentco to start use off. Sorry no BGP as of yet. We are in the process of getting our ip's from arin. Then we will add one more provider.

Do many of you prefer rack space or tower or both for colo?

How are you getting your IP's from Arin w/o BGP? I thought that was a requirement.

you have to purchase them in order for bgp to take place, the ip's have to be yours so you can setup the inbound routing.

Originally posted by chicagodata
    you have to purchase them in order for bgp to take place, the ip's have to be yours so you can setup the inbound routing.
    At a glance, it seems that you or your staff lack the expertiese necessary to make your venture successful. You are absolutely incorrect about any requirement that you have provider-independent space to be a BGP speaking network; and indeed, being a multi-homed, BGP-speaker makes it substantially easier for a small network to obtain provider-independent space from the ARIN.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

hmm..

Sorry about that jeff, I not new to networking but i am new to bgp. I misexplained what we were in the process of doing. I am learning about bgp from our head network tech who does have the experience in this area. He has maintained other large networks in other facilities. Please excuse my ignorance

When are you planning to open the doors?

Yes, if you read ARIN rules, being multi-homed means that you only need to filled 8 Class C to get IP space. If you are not multi-home, you'll need to filled 16 Class C to get space from ARIN.

Also, bad move to get Cogent. That just scares people away.

Looking to open doors for public use in about 2 weeks

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Also, bad move to get Cogent. That just scares people away.
    Mjfp's carefully worded statement is unfortunately correct. While the Cogent network and their products are good, especially in a BGP-speaking network; it will be a marketing challenge for you. Anyone who has ever searched for Cogent on WHT and read a few threads will find that painfully obvious.
    That said, I think you'll be pleased with Cogent service.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

I think you will be happy with cogent and it doesnt scare me away. (to bad it does the mis-informed)

Cogent works well in chicago, FDC has had it for years and it has been fine.

So can we take a tour when you open?

How would i get in contact with you? I'm local to chicago and i would like to see your Data Center.. and i possibly might co-lo 1-2 servers there if it like it..

I'm a few miles away from the building just to let you know

I'd like to see Level3 and XO Communications. Would love to see some pictures of the datacenter once it's built.

Well it will probably be ready in about two weeks because i have personal business obligations that need to be running in there by that time. I will post the website name soon. We are a Web app developer to so we are finishing the help desk and things like that.

Are you going to offer 24 hour access?

That is the idea but the security is not used to 24/hr access just straight lock down so they said as long as someone comes to get the guest after hours at the desk we will be fine. So with a phone call first from the guest 24/hr should no problem

This sounds like all the other "we're starting a datacenter...what do you think" threads. I'll believe it when I see pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast