Well, Rob, the questions that need to be answered are fairly simple, but since I'm software-building illiterate person, I have to ask someone to actually help me gain the understanding on the subject.
I started using Skype for communication, but got involved myself into this world and now thinking what does it take to build such an application. In particularly, I'm wondering about things like:
- the challenges of product and development of a VOIP telephone like Skype.com
- the technical knowledge (languages, software, other skills) required to complete such a project successfully
- the technical knowledge required to produce the same product that's integrated with the same network and workable on PDAs through WI-FI channels. Is the building and skills used any different to build the application for PDAs?
- how much people, time and money do YOU think (in your best estimate) it would take to develop a quality product like that?
- any other technical suggestions that might help?
I generally need to know what kind of KNOWLEDGE and what kind of SKILLS one should be going after in case of launching such a venture to build internet telephone like Skype?