I've been sitting around wondering, what would be the ideal way to educate an existing or potential client in the matter regarding "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth providers, as well as those who try to push 100+GB of bandwidth for 5 or 10 dollars a month.

I'm well aware that the standard for shared hosting accounts should be right around 1.00/GB. That's a good reference point. Of course when you start getting into higher quantities you can discount that a little and still make a respectable profit.

So, what have some of you done? Or what WOULD you do?

I've considered coming up with a cost analysis breakdown in a simple diagram form showing exactly where their money goes, what it's for, and why they need to pay it ON TIME each month. I've got a few slackers that I've been pretty lenient on here lately.

What brings this up is a recent request for 80GB of bandwidth for 25.00 per month. Sorry, I don't think so. Sure I have space left on a server that is just sitting there, and sure it would be nice to bring in another 25.00 but if I gave in this time, then that person would expect that next time if and when his requirements rose.

So, does anyone else have any ideas as how to educate the general public? Should we start a D.A.R.E. type reachout campaign? (No, I'm not serious, just curious.)