Thread: Learning Php

Learning Php

hello people.

i have had a web hosting company for over a year now and its doing ok i guess but i want to start doing web design with this company. i can use dreamweaver and photoshop and psp7 to make a half nice web site but i want to learn how to code in php and i cant afford at this moment in time a book cus there are like £30 = $50. i wanted to know where i could start to look ont he net for easy tutorials or even better videos on how to learn php or if anyone out there will teach me over msn or icq or what ever.

i would pay them if they wanted paying if i know i was gonna learn something i hope u can help.

thanks

Dave.

Hey Dave,

I'd recommend going to Hotscripts, and find an interesting script or two... Install 'em, and start playing around with it. And use php.net a LOT as your handy reference.

Plus, here's a definitive list of tutorials: http://www.google.com/search?q=php+tutorial
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

The manual is also pretty helpful.

I started learning PHP as "I wonder if php can do..." and I downloaded the manual and looked for stuff I could use.

After I got a basic grasp how it worked, I started editing other scripts to suit me. I'm not a PHP expert or anything though I've been messing with PHP for about 2 years, but I can navigate through it.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

just a question.. if you cant afford a PHP book, how can you afford photoshop? its like 20x the price at £600
    is there some special photoshop deal im missing out on?!

Probably after shucking out the $$$ for Dreamweaver & Photoshop, he's busted! Those are some pricey packages!!!

-Bob

ive always wanted to get photoshop but £600?! its not worth it unless you work as a designer IMO.

I finally broke down and bought it just last month... Wow! What a diff from psp!!! But at least now I can open, and work on, all those PSDs out there... (Templates, etc.)

-Bob

Originally posted by rrdega
    Probably after shucking out the $$$ for Dreamweaver & Photoshop, he's busted! Those are some pricey packages!!!

^^^ thats it.

i just want to start learning php as i can do so much for my clients. then i would have the money to be able to pay for people to teach me or get the books

phpbuilder.com

You can also check out the code library at phpbuilder.com.
    I also used devshed.com to learn php.

Good Luck
    Curt

Originally posted by flush()
    just a question.. if you cant afford a PHP book, how can you afford photoshop? its like 20x the price at £600
    is there some special photoshop deal im missing out on?!

You PAY for photoshop???

Come one dont joke me!!!

Why would you want to do such thing??

Unless you Offically own or work in a company (even so for personal use) I dont see any reason to do so???

Are you saying I should pay for flashmx,colrel,acrobat,office,windows,imageready?????

I would be homeless if did that!??

Originally posted by azizny

You PAY for photoshop???
    Yes, I wouldnt go round stealing peoples software, would you like it if I stole something you put a lot of hard work into?

Come one dont joke me!!!
    Actually I am not joking, there are honest people out there, even if you aren't one

Why would you want to do such thing??
    Because if everyone were theifs, the world would be a mess.

Unless you Offically own or work in a company (even so for personal use) I dont see any reason to do so???
    Well if there is no reason, why have it in the first place?

Are you saying I should pay for flashmx,colrel,acrobat,office,windows,imageready?????
    Yes, why shouldnt you? If you *really* need them that much then you would work hard and save up money, if you cant motivate yourself to do that, then you dont need them.

Yes, I wouldnt go round stealing peoples software, would you like it if I stole something you put a lot of hard work into?
    Depends on who we are talking about. Big companies like microsfot and others are rip off.. There major source of income relies more on big companies that deal with the millions. To me i wouldn't care to steal from someone thats already a multi-billionare!

Although I believe I should Pay to softwares that simple people do out there, e.g. winzip or vb applications. That really need the money to surivive.

Actually I am not joking, there are honest people out there, even if you aren't one
    [/B]
    I wouldnt call them honest, but will call them 'not smart'
    Because if everyone were theifs, the world would be a mess.
    [/B]
    See statment 1

Yes, why shouldnt you? If you *really* need them that much then you would work hard and save up money, if you cant motivate yourself to do that, then you dont need them. [/B]
    A friend of mine has softwares that i calcualted to cost '$10,000' and more..

If you expect from a student that cant even finish off his tution to stay home and waste his time (instead of getting those softwares and use them)

Originally posted by azizny
    To me i wouldn't care to steal from someone thats already a multi-billionare!
    I doubt they got there because people were stealing their software

I wouldnt call them honest, but will call them 'not smart'
    I would call them honest, and i would call you not smart too. Its ironic how you are calling people who pay for software 'not smart' Is it because you are too smart for a well paying job?

If you expect from a student that cant even finish off his tution to stay home and waste his time (instead of getting those softwares and use them)
    Many pieces of software have cheaper educational versions.

I doubt they got there because people were stealing their software
    Nope, because they gain there money from large corporations, do not believe me look at the statics that come out..

I would call them honest, and i would call you not smart too. Its ironic how you are calling people who pay for software 'not smart' Is it because you are too smart for a well paying job?
    [/B]
    I didn't generalize the issue here.. I only was talking about those that buy microsoft frontpage to design there personal sites..

Many pieces of software have cheaper educational versions. [/B]
    Maybe I was to dump to ask, but how cheap??

I checked out a couble of advertising I saw in my school that said
    "Get any software you want from VB.NET to Windows.... it was a lie..

Sorry to disappoint you brother, I am really sorry I started this arugment in the first place.
    Yes legally, tradiontionally I am Mistaken, I am not telling you you are wrong, infact what you doing is very right.... I am wrong, but sometimes you do have to walk with the wrong to achieve what you need..

Maybe when I have enough money I would go support microsoft and others for a job well done, in the meanwhile I will only support those who really need to be supported...

Lets ended it here

Re: Learning Php

Originally posted by waleswebhost
    hello people.

i have had a web hosting company for over a year now and its doing ok i guess but i want to start doing web design with this company. i can use dreamweaver and photoshop and psp7 to make a half nice web site but i want to learn how to code in php and i cant afford at this moment in time a book cus there are like £30 = $50. i wanted to know where i could start to look ont he net for easy tutorials or even better videos on how to learn php or if anyone out there will teach me over msn or icq or what ever.

i would pay them if they wanted paying if i know i was gonna learn something i hope u can help.

thanks

Dave.
    Hi there,

The resources everyone suggested here are wonderful! When you do manage to get your funding back up, I would highly recommend 'PHP and MySQL Development, Second Edition' by Laura Thomson and Luke Welling.

I learned from their book (the first edition), and it's very easy to use and is organized very nicely. It's about $33.99 on Amazon.com.

Best of luck learning PHP -- and it's nice to know there are other people out there who purchase professional software instead of just downloading it because "they make their money from the big companies."

Just a side note, because I don't want this to turn into a flame thread.

If you sell products created from pirated software, or ... not legally licensed software (which means, you bought one copy, but are using it on 4 computers), then both you and your client are liable for copyright infringement.

Many companies have a clause in their contract that specifically states that all work is to be done on legally acquired software, and the client has the right to request proof of licensing.

Maybe when you start working in the "real world" (as they say), you will find out why Microsoft makes billions.

also, try to write some small end easy system by yourself... this will give you the starting experience - better than playing around some done scripts

You PAY for photoshop???
    Good point.
    Might as well use the GIMP, but that is limited in some areas, even if it is better than Photoshop in others.

To me i wouldn't care to steal from someone thats already a multi-billionare!
    Theft is theft.
    You could argue that the one you are stealing from is stealing from the consumers, but then one should go through legal means to correct that.
    2 wrongs dont make a right (though 2 lefts may make you turn backwards).

Back to the question:
    I think that to learn PHP, one should turn to a reasonably updated tutorial or book for beginners.
    Once you have an idea of the basics, then the PHP Manual at php.net and various code examples from open source projects (and smaller scripts) written in PHP would be all you need to progress.
    From time to time there will be tutorials and articles online that you would find by joining an active PHP centred community.

"Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development" might be good book to help you learn PHP.
    I havent read it, but I do know (most of) the authors as they are part of an online PHP community that I belong to.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}