Best compression format/software?

I have several 100MB pure text files. Normally, I use zip format and get get it down to about 20mb after compression.

However, yesterday I was looking my website's logs and found it to be about 500kb in gz format and when unzipped, whopping 50MB! Must be some amazing compression algorhythm.

Is anyone aware of a windows compression tool to give me similar kind of compression? I've tried several that do gz compression, but the end result is no where close to the % of compression my log files were.

Any help appreciated.

RAR is the best compression most widely used on Windows, RZIP is the best compression period...that's only if you're looking at compression, if you factor in CPU time and what not...it's a different story

Give 7Zip a try, it does 7 different types of compression for windows:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...3.exe?download
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I'll have to give that a try Nick, but I love using PowerArchiver: http://www.powerarchiver.com

Handles all compression formats I know of, including TAR and GZIPs.

I second powerarchiver, been using it for years, it's wonderful.

I'd say WinZip. But how to archive GZ files?

WinRar is good.

Looks kinda shabby but it does the job real good.
    www.webhostforum.org

With all those apps, I am still not able to get the level of compression I see my log files are compressed at

Can anyone shed any light specifically on that? My log files are about 50mb and come out about 500kb when gz'd. Of course, I dont do it; it's autodone and placed in the logfiles folder. Right now a 20mb file comes down to about 3-4mb in almost any given compression scheme.

try bzip2 (I'm sure there is a windows port) - it compresses stuff better than gzip, but it takes more time as well.

regards,
    M.