Thread: Branding

Branding

How many years has it took for you to come up with an established branding for your business.

I beleive our main business has now got its foot in the door and settled down with its own unique identity finally after about 3 years.

Branding is one of the many keys to business success, and this will hopefully play a big role in getting us known to an even bigger audience than we currently have.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

About two years.

Do you think you'll have a whole new look in the future?
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

The "look" keeps evolving but the thematics of it pretty much stay the same. I'm sure it'll continue that way.

Maybe.

It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

Now that I'm thinking about it, the look has always been designed around the logo, and the logo is what has become a branded identity (It has actually transcended across several sites now). It's nice having people write that they recognised the logo from having seen it somewhere else.

Branding only takes a matter of days. You become branded the second 1 person other than yourself can look at the logo somewhere else and know what it represents..

The extent of your branding is another story.. There are only about 2-3 online businesses that I can think of that are actually fully branded..

Yahoo
    eBay
    Expedia

Possibly Google But there still is a large part of the population that has no idea about them...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

AOL, Hotmail, MSN....

But your point is well taken.

Branding isn't an easy process. As Trilofic said, it might take only a few days to develop or come up with a name and image. But when it all comes down to customer retention, a brand developed in several days won't make the difference unfortunatelly.

Altough there are cases in which a brand WAS developed in a few days, most of the big brands too several years to develop and are continuously developing. One example is FedEx which recently changed it's entire image.

A not so very fortunate brand development can be seen in Yahoo!'s case. They changed the branding agency with whom they've been working for the past 5 years. And for a good reason. As a final consumer, did anyone notice a drastic change or a very innovative idea from Y! in the past year?

As for Google there are a few debates going on. One side states that Google is a very strong brand (voted in 2002 and 2003 "Brand of the Year"), the others argue on the fact a brand with a simple main page, with very little refference to their other services (on the main page) can be such a powerfull brand.

Still, I must agree, online brands are closing up fast on the offline ones and soon we'll witness a drastic change on corporate strategies.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by auctionSuite
    AOL, Hotmail, MSN....

But your point is well taken.
    I really don't even consider them "Online" branded.. AOL is a provider not so much as an online service or business, HotMail, and MSN, are children companies of Microsoft, which in end was branded by its offline software "Windows"

It all comes down to what your business is.. If you are a webhost or in the "Computer" business You will never be branded in the offline world.. Its just one of the sad facts..

One great example is, Millions of people will know what "Quicken" is, over half of those people have never heard of "Intuit" The company that owns and programed/developed it..

Founder's name make great brands

Ford, Bose, Tata, Honda are great names used as brands.

Why didnt Microsoft use Gates as a brand instead of Windows ? It would have been easier to describe the software as Gates Crash os lol

Originally posted by Trifolic

It all comes down to what your business is.. If you are a webhost or in the "Computer" business You will never be branded in the offline world.. Its just one of the sad facts..

What about Dell? Or maybe that's not what you meant...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by interactive
    What about Dell? Or maybe that's not what you meant...
    Nope, they're buisness is mainly a physical product..

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Nope, they're buisness is mainly a physical product..
    Right, but you said:
    "or in the "Computer" business You will never be branded in the offline world.. Its just one of the sad facts.."

Or maybe you meant computer as in online based..
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I am well branded on WHT atleast

Most people remember the name Bub Host because it is different, and down right strange.

Bub

It has taken us about 2 years in our local market to establish a good branding.

Online branding is very hard though and takes more time and money.

We are lucky though because our name is very catchy and easy to remember. We are known as "The Know-It-All's" and that says it all. We do it all ...
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Branding Definition: A traditional advertising method used to elicit a latent response from a target based on cumulative impressions and positive reinforcement. The most successful brands are considered "trustmarks" and enjoy loyal, lifelong customers.

Branding occurs over time. You cannot specifically 'brand' something, however, you can perform specific marketing techniques in order to push towards branding your company into the marketplace.

Well, I have to disagree with some of you that stated than an online brand doesn't have succes in the physical world. Remember the World Soccer championship in Korea/Japan?

What banner/ad was standing out?

It was Yahoo!...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

eBay is an extremely successful brand. Google as well...