* Should i accept a online web hosting sales job?

Hey all i need is your comments on being a online sales man for a web hosting company. I got offerd a job by a web host. Any feed back would be nice.

How much are they paying you? Is it full time or part time? Are you happy promoting their company? Do you like the owners?

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Probably not considering that you're still with your own company.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=272431
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

I would suspect its commision based,, like Andrew stated, do you feel comfortable promoting their site..
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

Sorry i should've stated what they were going to pay me. They were going to give me free hosting. heh. i don't think that i'm going to take the job. after some research, i should be getting paid commision based as reseller-center suggested. sorry for the foolish post.

Originally posted by Coach
    Probably not considering that you're still with your own company.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=272431
    i have my own company and i still do referrals to some other companies.

ive referred a lot of people to dinix and ive referred a lot of people to my first host perfectpresence.com

i dont know how many actually signed up at dinix because as far as i know, dinix doesnt compensate but the other company does.

what is wrong with that?

every client has different needs!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Yeah, free hosting unless it was a top of the line dedicated box or something wouldn't be worth your time I'd say

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

The only way I would accept such a job is if I could keep the accounts should I decide to take a position with another company, I would want a percentage of each months hosting fees, and I would want referrals to contact (i.e. no cold-calling).
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

There should be $$ involved; a free box is not sufficient. Keep in mind too, that once you decide not to do sales anymore, there goes your box if you had anything of value on it, you'll need to find a payware solution for hosting that stuff now. Anyway if it's a legit sales job you should be receiving monetary payments just like any other real job.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

There should be $$ involved; a free box is not sufficient. Keep in mind too, that once you decide not to do sales anymore, there goes your box if you had anything of value on it, you'll need to find a payware solution for hosting that stuff now. Anyway if it's a legit sales job you should be receiving monetary payments just like any other real job.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. A sales job based simply on a free account (or even server) is not worth it. What happens if you move on or don't sell anything for a while? It could result in a very sour situation for anyone. As bithost pointed out as well, if it's a real job, they'd pay you.

Also to something to consider is affiliate programs or something like that. I would not just do sales for a free account though.

Yeah, you should be getting paid. Free hosting is easy to come by really.

go the affiliate route the money is much better. Just set your self up with companies you like, and would like to promote.

Hello there,

From experience, I do not suggest accepting free hosting as a form of payment, because basically it isn't worth it. You should try to setup an agreement with your host, and try to be paid in a commision based form. Good luck

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

Life is a risk, just do it
    --

You can find decent free hosting with no work at all (maybe just some time to search ). I'm not encouraging non-workers, but it's really not worth it. Unless you have a solid agreement with the company. And trust me, it's a lot of work and a very tough market out there
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

I think you'll be able to find work on a comission basis out there (like affiliate, referral programs)

If they are a good reputable host, there is money to be made. There are a lot of people out there wanting servers for all sorts of reasons. Depending on how you work out the commission structure, I bet you could add a good amount of cash to your pocket. Tell them you want to have a live chat on the site so you can chat with people as the enter the site. We close a very good amount of business with our live chat everyday. People like to get anwers as they browse. Plus the chat lets you close international business who probably would not call in with questions. If I were you I would stay online until as late as possible. The international customers do all of their shopping in the middle of the night. I say what do you have to lose with giving the job a shot. Good luck.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test