Thread: WHT down often?

WHT down often?

Is it just me or is WHT down a hell of a lot more since Rackspace took over hosting? Im sure this has been discussed before but i am getting really tired of it, ive just had to try 3 times to get the forum to load, it wouldnt work this morning either and this isnt a particulalrily busy time of day!

I think im going to start using other forums more again, ones that actually load

The forum hasn't been down for a while. And when it was it was something out of control that caused it. For the most part though, there are no problems. I have certainly had no problems at all today and have been here on and off for 15 hours

well maybe its routing problems? im in the UK i just know that im getting page cannot be displayed far more than i ever used to

There's something that isn't right. The DB is slow as molasses. I haven't seen it down in a while though.

No problems here recently and I am in the UK.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Im in Texas and noticing it too :-(
    Strange, I will get "page not found" and then usually when it loads the second time it comes in.
    Its sparotic, works fine one minute and then not. Its been doing it for a week or more.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Originally posted by Martie
    Im in Texas and noticing it too :-(
    Strange, I will get "page not found" and then usually when it loads the second time it comes in.
    Its sparotic, works fine one minute and then not. Its been doing it for a week or more.

I've noticed this too....
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

I hit a lot of that late night Thursday/ early morning Friday -- but more extreme than that, the site was pretty much unusable. A refresh worked the second time a few times, but then that stopped working as well. This was probably 2 am Eastern Time Friday morning and lasted for at least the next hour.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Humm, anyone else seeing this?
    On the front page Web Hosting Talk News here is the date showing for all the articles:
    December 31st, 1969
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I noticed it sometimes takes a couple of shots to pull WHT up... I usually blamed it on the network I'm on since it's more flakey then many politicians.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Something is wrong with WHT news

Look at these dates....

http://killadesigns.com/whtproblem.png

I noticed that too. Actually some univeristy discovered our years were 35 years ahead, so they adjusted it. It's now 1969 again!

Also on the news links to the WHIR.com have the first few letters cut off.

On the front page Web Hosting Talk News here is the date showing for all the articles:
    December 31st, 1969
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by cMark
    I've noticed this too....
    I am having the same problem here as well...
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

well thank god im not the only one having problems ... i also thought that the running a webhosting business forum (and i may be wrong) is usually v busy, i go to bed at night and in the morning there are usually loads more threads but lately there has been less and wondered if it was anything to do with people having these problems?

Kim i wouldnt blame your network, my isp is fine and every other site works ok its just wht and its been worse in the last week or two

I see nothing wrong, so its a few years before the TCP/IP protocol was created. (to say nothing about the internet itself)
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

It happens on and off for me as well, though not as much in the last few days.

I dont know the exact hardware setup (just a moderator) but it could be something to do with PrevenTier which was implemented in a hurry after a DDoS attack on the site and servers that run WHT.

This seems to have stopped all DDoS attacks but I think it occasionally gets it wrong and blocks a valid request it considers an attack.

I have to admit I occasionally get WHT slow or sometimes timeout but it is only rare considering i spend many hours a day on WHT.

I cant say this is really what is happening since its only my own opinion but I would imagine an iNET representative will be here soon to explain if they are aware of the problem.
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

its fine once im on its just the inital loading of the site

December 31st, 1969
    TheWHIR unfortunately changed the format within the last 24 hours of the feed we receive from them. This broke the time parsing function we had which formated the date for proper display. I have since updated this for the new feed and you should now see normal dates again.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Originally posted by XTStrike
    I dont know the exact hardware setup (just a moderator) but it could be something to do with PrevenTier which was implemented in a hurry after a DDoS attack on the site and servers that run WHT.

This seems to have stopped all DDoS attacks but I think it occasionally gets it wrong and blocks a valid request it considers an attack.

I have to admit I occasionally get WHT slow or sometimes timeout but it is only rare considering i spend many hours a day on WHT.

I cant say this is really what is happening since its only my own opinion but I would imagine an iNET representative will be here soon to explain if they are aware of the problem.
    We have had no server issues in quite a while which would have affected WHT. I will check with Rackspace on Monday morning and see if the Preventier system has been blocking anything recently.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

It did it for me just now...showing 10:38 PM EST on my clock. I am using Mozilla and it just said that it could not connect to the website. However, I waited about 30 secs and tried again and it worked fine.

Its down multiple times a day for me!

San Francisco, CA - Bay Area

Same for me too ^

I have not seen this site down in at least 1.5 yrs, and even then it was only for a few minutes at a time.

Luckily i havent noticed anything bad lately.........

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by The Dude
    Luckily i havent noticed anything bad lately.........

The Dude
    It seems worse than usual, today. I have to hit refresh a few times before the page actually comes up.

Very odd.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

In about an hour and a half here I had two timeouts and had to refresh 3 different times to get pages to load.

I'd say it's happening fairly often and consistently, I see at least one issue occur every visit here over the past 3 or 4 weeks...