Need advice from foreigners doing business in USA…

Hi,

I do not live in USA but do my small hosting business in my country. I am planning to take a study course in NYC United States or Canada. I was wondering if i could keep on operating the business while living and studying at the same time. Do i have to get a business license for this? I can get that even i have a student visa?

Does anyone else living and studying in USA also operate this sort of internet business?

Personally i see it just as working or normal job but need advice from people who know about this subject or are already doing this...

Thanks!

This shouldn't be a problem - from what I understand. Can somebody else elaborate on this?

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

If you are physically in the US - you would need a work permit (Visa) to operate your business or to work for a company outside of the US. And to be honest - you probably don't get that kind of visa when applying for a student visa at the same time.

It might not be visible that you operate your own business at the same time though (but legally you will need a visa).
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

That really is in the "grey" area in the rules of business/government red tape. As far as I know, this shouldn't be a problem.

Because the internet allows people to work from anywhere in the world, this issue of needing a working visa to operate a business from a foreign country doesn't necessarily apply.

You're not employing others, you're not using a US bank, you're not paying income tax for a business that resides outside of the US, you're not taking away jobs from American citizens (which is one of the reasons why the visa system is put in place) - why the need for a working visa?
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

What Hostkookster says is exactly why it simply wouldn't be a problem. The minute you hire somebody or change your bank to on US, you're suddenly in a different position.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

lol.. if i am studying in US, i would definitely be using a US bank or some international bank having a branch in US to hold my funds for use plus its on the internet...I think many foreign students who come to united states do off campus jobs so i wonder why this could be any different especially if it is on the internet? I am pretty sure many techy indians coming to united states are involved in internet businesses while studying to earn additional cash..now i am not sure about the exact policies but people are doing it regardless of what the laws says...

Also if i hire someone that would actually be beneficial to the US economy since i am providing a job to a local american. If i need to pay any taxes then willing to do so too..This is a bit confusing though so i was really interested in the person who was actually studying in US and operating this type business online...I think only he or she can advise me best on this..

These kinds of things always come down to government money a.k.a. taxes.

So, the moment you start making money in the US, and placing it in US banks, you must start paying taxes, which means to do it right you need a business licence....etc That opens up a whole new can-o-worms

Is your business currently registered in your country? Where is your bank that you currently deposit money to located? I'm talking about the actual physical bank, if it's online where is the office?

Since you're getting a student visa, I would ask the government agency that offers the visas what kind of working privledges that gives you. Do you also need a working visa? I'm sure a .gov website out there can explain these things. Anyone have a link....I haven't a clue....

If you hire someone, you must have a business licence, which takes care of insurance, benefits...etc. You probably don't want to go there.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888