Strange Hosting Requirements (Need Help)

Hi There I run an anime website which distributes Unlicensed Anime from Japan. Episodes are aired on Japanese TV on Wednesday, and i put them up for download on The Thursday and Friday.

There is very heavy traffic on the site for those two days, I have been pushing out 80 - 90 Mbits for the past few week. I use roughly 4000 GB a month .

Most Hosts won't even consider hosting my site because of the high sustained output for those 2 days, even if i tell them the the server will be pretty much idle the rest of the week.

I am not too bothered about Server specs, since there won't be any mySQL usage on the server, just httpd processes. Harddisk space i would only need 5 GB or so.

Does anyone know of a place that leases out 100Mbit servers for particular days? Or a host that provides 1000 GB dedicated server with 100 Mbit connection and doesn't mind nearly all of the 100Mbit connection being used so long as i stay within the monthly allowance.

My budget is about $400 a month.
    Thanks for your help

Why not look at getting your own server at ServerMatrix? You can get a 100 Mbps Uplink port through them. If you need it managed, have a look around, there are people that will do just that, for you. With those specs, you really DO need to have your own server.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Douglas, he said that he uses 4000 gb of bandwidth per month. There is no servermatrix plan that has that much bandwidth for $400/mo or under. Sounds like you most likely will need an unmetered service.

The only provider that comes to mind with an unmetered connection for $400/mo and under is fdcservers.net. Though their uptime may not be 100% reliable, it is about 98% reliable. You might actually also want to consider some custom quotes with a few datacenters. Also keep in mind that fdcservers do not provide management -- so if you do not know how to manage your own server, you may just have to go with a different host all together; or purchase a system administrator. If you want, you can contact me and I'll try to sort you out with a deal.
    Mitty Chang, Managing Partner & Lead Designer
    MightyMitty Design Studios
    mightymitty.com

At 10 cents per GB you'll be hard pressed to find a solution that actually offers a full 100Mbps port that isn't already saturated by others.

For a dedicated 100Mbps port, you'll need a premium bandwidth provider that won't charge anything less than $1 per GB.

Ditto to TRN - you must have your own server - No hosting company will allow you to push the full 100Mbps on a shared server with other clients. Your site would drag a shared server to it's knees.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Thanks for the quick response, Yeah I had 4 servers with ServerMatrix each for about $100. But like you said they weren't too happy that i was using so much bandwidth and downgraded my connection to 10Mbit Max. So I have to leave them.

As for FDC it would be too much to get the download speeds i am looking for. I need something which can provide fast speeds for a couple of days a week, rather then a slow connection throughout the week.

It looks like a dead end . I suppose my only other hope is to look for other induviduals and purchase a 100Mbit unmetered server between us.

So I suppose now the question is... Where could i even look to find a cheap 100Mbit unmetered server. I've seen some for about $2000 a month but thats way too much, probably in the region of $1000 - $1500, would be okay, and mean i would need to find 1 or 2 other people to share it with.

Some deals here but I am not able to make out clearly, but it seems that these people just charge once for additional bandwidth and no extra monthly charge... but that should not be the case. http://www.servers247.com/servers.php
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

So I suppose now the question is... Where could i even look to find a cheap 100Mbit unmetered server. I've seen some for about $2000 a month but thats way too much, probably in the region of $1000 - $1500, would be okay, and mean i would need to find 1 or 2 other people to share it with.
    I think you'll be able to find what are you looking for over there. If you are not critical to the disk storage, than bandwidth and 100Mb connection as far as perfect CPU (Xeon for ex.) and RAM you'll be able to find for about $1000/month. So, make a research - good luck!

Originally posted by domainwala
    http://www.servers247.com/servers.php
    Beware, the link to their help desk doesn't work:
    http://66.111.35.161/cgi-bin/pdesk.cgi
    The requested URL /cgi-bin/pdesk.cgi was not found on this server.
    the support email is "[email protected]" and they don't even have a simple page who they are...

Put up about 6 or 7 servers at nocster or someplace with $55~$60 servers. Even if they knock your port down to 10Mb, thats still 60Mb over all of them :-D

A dedicated server seems to be a necessity in your situation.
    http://www.servermatrix.com would be a good place to try.

Originally posted by nzbm
    A dedicated server seems to be a necessity in your situation.
    http://www.servermatrix.com would be a good place to try.
    Yeah I had 4 servers with ServerMatrix each for about $100. But like you said they weren't too happy that i was using so much bandwidth and downgraded my connection to 10Mbit Max. So I have to leave them.
    He already tried SM. There are 2 solutions for you problem:

1. Increase your budget.
    2. get 5 servers from 5 different providers...
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Re: Strange Hosting Requirements (Need Help)

Originally posted by Kakashi
    Hi There I run an anime website which distributes Unlicensed Anime from Japan. Episodes are aired on Japanese TV on Wednesday, and i put them up for download on The Thursday and Friday.

is anyone missing the "unlicensed" part?? downloading from tv?? am i to take that as meaning illegal content??
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by Argious
    Douglas, he said that he uses 4000 gb of bandwidth per month. There is no servermatrix plan that has that much bandwidth for $400/mo or under. Sounds like you most likely will need an unmetered service.

<snip>

If you want, you can contact me and I'll try to sort you out with a deal.
    I read his post correctly, you did not. If you look at what he wrote:
    There is very heavy traffic on the site for those two days, I have been pushing out 80 - 90 Mbits for the past few week. I use roughly 4000 GB a month .

<snip>

Does anyone know of a place that leases out 100Mbit servers for particular days? Or a host that provides 1000 GB dedicated server with 100 Mbit connection and doesn't mind nearly all of the 100Mbit connection being used so long as i stay within the monthly allowance.
    I answered him directly. He only said that he's using 4000 gb a month. He said that he's seeking a 1000 gb Ded Serv with 100Mbit connections. I answered him correctly. Thanks!

Oh by the way, what's up with the self promotion? Need to read the rules, my friend.

Now, back on topic... as much as it pains me to say this, you could look at a few servers from managed.com or burst.net. They're pretty close to bottom of the barrel providers, however, their prices are cheap. You truly do get what you pay for with them. :/

Good luck
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Take a look at nectartech...

The unlicensed part is what bothers me too... It hints illegal. The rest is pure shopping...

4000GB a month is pretty hard to find. Have you thought about using BitTorrent so your visitors help you distribute those files.

I've done my research on it, and i am sure its not illegal. Servermatrix also raised questions about the anime episodes and after some discussion, they were fine with, with the condition that if the anime was licensed then i would have to remove it immediately, or i would be breaking copyright laws.

Also tried hosting with managed.com they were fine about the episodes, but the first time i pushed any amount of data, they pointed at their AUP saying i could only burst above 10mbits for less then 20 minutes.

Back to the problem, which is being allowed to output a high and sustained amount of traffic for a couple of days. Spreading the file over several servers might be an idea, dunno how practical though, but its worth a try.

I've already got one person interested in the 100mbit umetered server venture so thats looking like a more pluasable option too. Thanks for you help and please keep your suggestions coming.

Edit : Sorry to clear it up, each server had 1000 GB only. I had four of them which is why i said that total output was about 4000 GB. I am not looking for one server with 4000 GB bandwidth allowance.

There are lots of site with anime episodes available over bittorrent. The reason i set mine up was because i couldn't use bittorrent (blocked ports at University), i knew a lot of other people in the same situation, so the site was aimed at them

Thanks for the quick response, Yeah I had 4 servers with ServerMatrix each for about $100. But like you said they weren't too happy that i was using so much bandwidth and downgraded my connection to 10Mbit Max. So I have to leave them.
    Can you give the details on this?!? It sounds strange.

SM has said in their forums that your bandwidth is your bandwidth and they would never limit or penalize you for using it. (As long as you keep paying.)

I suspect there may be more happening here than we have been told. Possibly the "unlicensed" issue?

At worst I think SM would simply ask for a deposit to cover huge bandwidth overages. Anyone know the answer?

sightz, when you try pushing over 90Mbits for two days on a shared switch, they kind of put it in the category of jepordising service for other users.

They are not limiting my bandwidth at all I can still use all 1000 GB of it easily if i was on a 10mbit connection, they are concerned *goes to find support ticket*

"Allay the risk of saturating our switch.

If you like, I will return your portspeed to 100, but the first time you move the same traffic as you did before, your account will pass in front of our Technical/Security team again, and they will cancel your contract."