hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : IDE hard drives?

Forum Jump

IDE hard drives?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 06:10 PM

IDE hard drives?

I'm curious about something. I've been looking around at different web hosts this past week, and noticed that a lot of them use IDE hard drives. This surprises me, because I expected most people that make a living off the reliability of their servers to be using SCSI drives. The reason being that IDE drives used to have the reputation of being throw-away drives that you use until they die a year or two later, as well as the fact that IDE drives aren't usually as fast at seeking as SCSI drives.

Have IDE drives become that much more reliable, or is it not that big of an issue since the IDE drives offer more storage space at a cheaper price, that it's actually a viable solution? Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2004, 06:36 PM

While most IDE drives probobly aren't quite as reliable as SCSI drives they are not as bad as they used to be, when was the last time you had a HD crash? I know I have drives that are 4+ years old that still work fine.

As for speed SCSI is faster, but I don't think it would make a huge difference on most webservers, unless it was overloaded.

Old 05-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I thought IDE and SCSI are somewhat the same, just have different transfer methods...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2004, 06:51 PM
WHT Addict

They are both somewhat similiar in that they are both mass storage devices. But they way they manage that storage and interface to a client vary significantly

http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/79/

Do a search in google for IDE vs SCSI and you'll get a whole mess of pages dissecting the diferences.

Justin

Old 05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

SCSI=Faster
IDE=More data GB

Old 05-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Disabled

Also IDE drivers doing well in most situations

Old 05-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

You don't need a SCSI drive when you have dual IDE's using RAID 0...better known as Stripping. This along with a motherboard capable of doing Serial ATA....who needs an expensive SCSI drive, especially when IDE's continually go down in price as space increases.

Old 05-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

We are slowly moving away from SCSI system for our network at work.
Whereas a couple of years ago I always specified SCSI systems for our Windows/Linux/Exchane/SQL servers I now seriously look ar IDE.

I still have RAID, RAID5 to be exact however I can get an IDE RAID5 configuration with 4x 160GB HD (480GB useable) for a lot less than a SCSI setup.

IDE drives are proving to be just as reliable.
I also have the same hot-swap abilities with the IDE array as I would with a SCSI.
The only difference is that the IDE drives are 7200rpm and my SCSI systems are either 10,000rpm or 15,000rpm.

Old 05-15-2004, 04:25 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by activeforce
SCSI=Faster
IDE=More data GB
Also, IDE is cheaper

Old 05-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Taking a break from hosting

Re: IDE hard drives?

Quote:
Originally posted by soul
I'm curious about something. I've been looking around at different web hosts this past week, and noticed that a lot of them use IDE hard drives. This surprises me, because I expected most people that make a living off the reliability of their servers to be using SCSI drives. The reason being that IDE drives used to have the reputation of being throw-away drives that you use until they die a year or two later, as well as the fact that IDE drives aren't usually as fast at seeking as SCSI drives.

Have IDE drives become that much more reliable, or is it not that big of an issue since the IDE drives offer more storage space at a cheaper price, that it's actually a viable solution? Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.
Years ago, IDEs were definitely not as reliable as SCSIs, but they've become pretty reliable over the years. I have a 6 year old Dell desktop here in the office, running around 12 or more hours per day, and the original 10GB HD is working fine . SATA drives are eventually going to replace SCSIs, as they're cheaper and can hold more data than SCSIs, but still have a speed advantage over IDEs.

-Josh

Old 05-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

SCSI is MUCH better and cheaper.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeox
SCSI is MUCH better and cheaper.
Unless you're factoring in having to buy two IDE drives in the same lifetime as one SCSI you're wrong about the cheaper thing.

Andrew

Old 05-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

Reliability wise, nothing beats SCSI...

Old 05-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

We now run a lot of servers, and a lot of workstation PCs, and we buy our drives from well known distributors; Maxtor, Seagate etc. I am yet to see an SCSI drive fail, whereas I have seen several IDE drives fail in the past.

I would certainly not set up a single shared server nowadays with an IDE hard drive, not only do we get better performance, but I feel a heck of a lot more confident that years down the line I won't have to be replacing those SCSI drives. Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but I'd much rather be overly cautious now than run the risk of problems in the future.

Old 05-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

If you are going dedicated wouldn't it be relatively easy to just upgrade to an entire new server every year or so? This would also mean replacing the hard drives, usually. I would think you'd need to with the speed technology is growing.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Seagate Q1 $3.49 B Earnings Fall Below Analyst Estimates as Storage Demand Continues to Grow Web Hosting News 2013-10-29 14:50:18
Study: Enterprises Eye Automated Tiering, Private Cloud as Internal Storage Capacity Grows Web Hosting News 2013-10-07 16:33:01
Microsoft Acquires Cloud-Integrated Storage Provider StorSimple Web Hosting News 2012-10-16 17:10:45
Web Host GeekStorage Launches VPS Line Featuring SSD Storage Web Hosting News 2012-10-04 12:19:46
Cloud Host ElasticHosts Offers SSDs at All Server Instance Sizes Web Hosting News 2012-09-05 13:23:40