- 1200 GB Bandwidth
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat
    - $99 Setup / $99 Month
    - cpanel/WHM 19.99/month

How much would I make out of it?
    What are recommended prices? (USD)
    How many people should I host?

plenty of RAM which is good. Get a pentium. You can make millions, it all depends on what you charge. Again, how many people can you host....millions. But it depends on the sites....small and static with 10 visitors a month. or a large interactive forum with hundreds online at a time
    Excell Hosting
    Budget Hosting

How much you can make on a single server depends on what you price your product at. There are no recommended prices for what you offer, its only what you recommend for your clients. More ram is always better for your server, but since you're using a celeron, I'd suggest not hosting more than 50 sites. It really depends on the content your clients put on their sites.

If you're starting out in the web hosting industry, I suggest you sit down and plan out what you're going to offer, and how you're going to offer it. Make a business plan or something, it will help in the long run. There are many sites out there that give examples of business plans. You can also do a search on WHT on business plans if you get stuck.

It all depends on your business plans, target market/customers and your product/services.

If you are offering flat out basic web hosting to the general public, you probably make less than going about setting up corporate websites with web designs + maintenance.

As to how many people you can host and how much each plan would be priced, it depends on the plans you are offering.

The profit level woud depend on many factors and it could swing to anywhere in the negative position to a high end positive one.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

If you have to ask, you arent ready to host, do your potential customers a favour and dont bother.

If you have to ask, you arent ready to host, do your potential customers a favour and dont bother.
    This about sums it up for you.

Originally posted by Scotty_B
    There's nothing wrong with asking

Well, there is no crime in asking before you embark on it. Everyone has to start somewhere and I believe the original poster was just trying to weigh his options.

Of course, if he were to get the server, start the site then start asking these questions then well, that wouldn't be a pretty sight.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Its not like he is already has the server and is asking how to do this, or he is saying "i just got me a server at manaqed.com (it was rally chaep) how do i use it??????)", he is planning ahead, and is asking the right questions
    hm what should I put in my sig?

I already have my on that server..I just wanted to know what is the average profit...
    I've seen about thousands of hosting companies...some that just suck...and other that are pretty good, I just wanted to know what they make out of it....

In other words how much would you make on this server?
    give me an estimate...

i wouldnt take less than $1000/month PROFIT as acceptable..

Then there's the 14 year olds who are rich with $50.
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Don't think there is an average profit. It depends on how much you sell your accounts for and how many accounts you have or plan to have on each machine. There are two ways of bringing up the profit level and that is by overselling and by offering value added or targetted marketing.

On an average, you should not host more than 100 small sites on that machine. Basically allow a buffer of about 20% to 50% of the system resources for the just-in-case situations.

Originally posted by Matthew Gunnin
    i wouldnt take less than $1000/month PROFIT as acceptable..

Then there's the 14 year olds who are rich with $50.

hahaa

Matthew Gunnin, what would you say the acceptable time frame is for breaking even after starting out?

Tough question.. Heck I know several people off hand that have been in business for upwards of one year now and don't have more then 10 clients... It's not as easy as it seems..

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Tough question.. Heck I know several people off hand that have been in business for upwards of one year now and don't have more then 10 clients... It's not as easy as it seems..
    That's very true... it took my awhile to get even one client, but if your service is what they're looking for then word of mouth spreads very quickly.

This is a bit harsh, but (biasly) I'd recommend starting off with a reseller account if you're this early into the game, unless of course you're mostly technical, in which case...you might be okay