My box is taking a dump literaly !

Man oh man, one of my boxes at home is taking a dump on me. Very important to me has my quicken and all my good stuff stored on it. Its an older HP netserver e60 converted from NT to win2000, not sure why, this seems out of the blue but its shutting down on me for a memory dump. I kept geting errors w/ symfw.sys and kmode errors which I think is norton related but not sure. Started reading something at symatec never finished got to finish it. I changed application resources, raised page file to 1.5 GB disabled dump it s a dual processor with only 1 chip (p3 500 mhz w/512 ram and scsi drive running no apps at the time besides norton and antivirus and it shuts down on me. Any clues ! It was doing this right on start I would go in to f2 setup and basicly save existing config restart it would boot fine instead of the black screen with the lone cursor like I get after dump occurs. But then a few mins later bam blue screen error address0x0000000001E yada yada yada restarts now blick screen lone cursor :-(

The blue screen of death. Everytime that started happening to me I always just had to reformat ;/
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

It's a long shot, but the first thing you want to do is make sure your sticks of memory are in correctly, and haven't been accidently knocked out or something.

Seems that norton is crashing a lot of machines lately.

The file "symfw.sys" is related to norton. I'd suggest uninstalling norton and see if it clears up or possibly upgrade norton if you havent done so already. If you did I'd recommend rolling back.

The latest and "greatest" isnt great if it messes up your box. I've seen this happen a lot with norton lately.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

its actualy old norton I have, 2002 systemworks and internet security but like i was saying just recently this started, its running fine last hour with out norton connection disabled, but my home ip is marked I never take chance I have had probably 5 reformats btw 2 machines the last 2-3 weeks because of ip spoofed attacks trying to connect for awhile I disabled every port and opened as needed, sent abuse@wow email no replys from them of course. I guess I maybe should try something else. Anything people recomend for internet security and virus protection for windows 2000

McAfee all the way.

I must agree, Norton used to be good, but in the past 2 years it went down as canadian tree It used to crash my box each and every week. Is that bad software?
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli