Sorry for the noob question but what is an FTP site and how do I make one?

I have my own server with EV1. I give people ftp accounts so they can upload pics for me but many people have no idea how to use an ftp program.

What exactly is an ftp site? Is it a site where a user can ftp directly from their computer without having an ftp program? If so how is one made.

If anyone has any other suggestions on the best way to get people to send me pics that would be great too.

There is ftp programs on download.com you can try them out. Why cant they send via email attachment?

Also if you both have aim you can use that also kind ftps to each other through direct connect.

"ftp " file transfer protocol its almost you midas well say a dump and in this case dumps to directorys you share on the server. theres plenty of flash tutorials out that show how to use all sorts of FTP agents. Ill share some of my bandwidth for the cause

http://eonlinedevelopment.com/supportcenter.html
    there youll find some tutorials on FTP

I think what DannyITR wants is a Web Based FTP Upload script for his users to use since it usually easier then an FTP Client.

DannyITR,
    Check out hotscripts.com and you should have much luck finding what you want there.
    Good Luck

I think you mean FTP browser meaning you can type in ftp.domain.ext and give your login name and password. This then makes a direct connection with your server, meaning you can copy/paste all your files on to your server using the browser window. This beats uploading one by one.

I will have this feature available on my hosting biz coming late 2004 - early 2005. Anyways, hope this helps

Originally posted by GHDave
    I think what DannyITR wants is a Web Based FTP Upload script for his users to use since it usually easier then an FTP Client.

DannyITR,
    Check out hotscripts.com and you should have much luck finding what you want there.
    Good Luck
    Exactly what I'm looking for! We're talking many megs of photos so e-mail or AIM is no good and most of the people that take the pics don't know much and wouldn't be able to install an FTP program on their computer.

I'm going to go check it out.

that'd be something I could use too (on a personal level anyway).

Techncially, IE can be used as an ftp browser, and it allows for a seamless integration w/ windows making it easier for a client.

BUT, it's IE. It can't handle usernames w/ '@'.. that and you get no messages on what's going on really.

One problem with browser FTP

You cant resume. I never bother transfering files via browser unless there small, atleast w/ ftp of some sort you can pause, and resume files if connection drops or gets slow and can queue multiple files and leave and not worry because its set to retry etc....

Originally posted by FShosting
    I think you mean FTP browser meaning you can type in ftp.domain.ext and give your login name and password. This then makes a direct connection with your server, meaning you can copy/paste all your files on to your server using the browser window. This beats uploading one by one.

I will have this feature available on my hosting biz coming late 2004 - early 2005. Anyways, hope this helps

I made a FTP account in Cpanel and tried to conenct to it via IE. It seemed to have worked but for some reason, the files never get uploaded.

I was told that cpanel doesn't allow browser connections. Any ideas on how to turn this off or to actualyl make it work? I just want my friends to be able to send me their pics since I host them on a small site for everyone. I'll bet there are quite a few people who could benefit from this sort of thing.

still can't quite get it working.

Have them use an ftp client such as smart ftp or cuteftp or ws_ftp
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

It's really recommended to use a FTP program.
    They aren't such hard to use

Just choose one of the many free FTP programs at
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwftp.html