Question Starting out a business in a few years

Well... I was sitting around and I started thinking about commencing my own hosting business. Im really new to this, I wish to host game servers and websites. I heard that Linux is a good OS to run game servers. But, unfortunatelly I ave no exp. in Linux. I was wondering If anyone (I saw that these forums helps alot of people) would mind lending me a hand one on one. Also post some suggestions for me, like where to start such and such. I would greatly appreciate it.

Best thing to do is get a few books about linux. www.linuxiso.org has many free ISO downloads for linux.

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

Thank you for that link. I'm Installing Linux now so I can familiarize myself with it. I hope it does not interfere with my Windows XP OS. So after I install Linux and I get used to it... What else?

Thank you for that link. I'm Installing Linux now so I can familiarize myself with it. I hope it does not interfere with my Windows XP OS. So after I install Linux and I get used to it... What else?
    What distribution are you installing?

Make sure and make a new partition for your new Linux install. Then burn the ISO(s) to a CD(/DVD) and boot from the CD(/DVD-ROM) drive. Then install the new Linux distro to your new partition! It's as easy as that, and make sure to read at least the first part of the documentation for your distro, where it gives you detailed instructions on how to install your distro properly and efficiently.

I remember posting some lengthy article a few months ago on starting a web hosting business and what details to look for. Do a search with the search tool (it's at the top of the page) and search the "Running a Web Hosting Business" forum for "starting web hosting business" using "any date" and you should get a few good threads.

Oh.. and the how-to forums are always good to browse and read up on

Enjoy
    Mitty Chang, Managing Partner & Lead Designer
    MightyMitty Design Studios
    mightymitty.com

To learn more about linux you should also visit www.linuxquestions.org thanks buy a book from amazon on linux administration

I downloaded Red Hat ( the latest one ). Since I have Winrar the ISO came as a Wirar file and I extracted it to my comp. Now I'm short on one cd-r lol. Requires three cd-rs. Well . . . How exactly do I make a partition on my HD? Will it give me an option while I'm Installing Linux? By the way, Thank you for that tip Argious. Yeah Yaser I plan to buy a book on Linux administration next month. My High School (Yes I'm In Highschool.) lets us go to Barnes and Nobles to take out a book of our choice.

You could also hire an admin (per hour) to administer your server and to set it up when running a business. That let's you concentrate on the marketing and customer service to build your business. Buy or lease quality hardware.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

How would I be able to take care of that If its per hour? They could cheat and put like.. 3 extra hours. Would the admin be from another state? or local?

Originally posted by Deval
    How would I be able to take care of that If its per hour? They could cheat and put like.. 3 extra hours. Would the admin be from another state? or local?
    Ask for an esitimate of time required for any task you give them. I provide one for my customers. I've started conversing with an admin from the WHT boards and I provided a very specific description of what I wanted and asked for an estimate. You may also want to think about a "not to exceed" clause so if unexpected things cause the time to take longer you don't end up with a huge bill.

It also helps to know exactly what you want, dont just ask for an admin to "setup my server so I can start hosting"; you open yourself up to a myraid of non required services that will increase the time it takes and hence the time you are billed for.

Justin

I see... I'll look into that.

Ok, I have decided not to rent a Linux server but a Windows one. I'm more experienced with Windows and I was proved wrong that HLDS (Half-Life Dedicated Server) works best with it (Heard it from a company). So... What I need to know is... how to write a business plan.

Well... I think the next thing before a business plan is to make your self familar w/ IIS and all the fun that comes with managing that..

Then, if your planning on doing a web hosting business find a web hosting software (unless you plan to manage the accounts manually) that runs on Windows (Helm, instead of WHM/cPanel).

Do you plan to host static only or dynamic (PHP, ASP)
    If dynamic which DB backend (MySQL, MSSQL [Windows])
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Originally posted by TheFish
    You could also hire an admin (per hour) to administer your server and to set it up when running a business. That let's you concentrate on the marketing and customer service to build your business. Buy or lease quality hardware.

Very good IMO

let the pro's admin the server while you slowly learn the OS and how to maintain a server, then you can join the admin team and cut costs down over time.

- eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

Found some more sites you might find usefull
    www.justlinux.com
    www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/
    www.linuxworld.com

hope these help thanks

Re: Starting out a business in a few years

Originally posted by Deval
    Well... I was sitting around and I started thinking about commencing my own hosting business . . .
    Why?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I dont look at this idea questioning "Why?". I look at it and think ... "why not?". Im going to run a gaming network. But, It would be the same as hosting websites in a way. Much thanks for all of you that has helped so far. I need some tips on running the business .

If you don't have a very strong "Why", your chances of success in any business are slim to none. "why not" just doesn't cut it and don't bother wasting your time and money, if you don't have a very strong "Why".
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

You should read the articles at this link
    http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/startup/ before starting up, even though its canada most of the articles are not targeted towards canada. General articles to help you get started with business, marketing etc plans.

hosting game servers and websites are two different monsters, may want to try one out before jumping into both
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

Hosting gaming websites is far easier than servers because you will have to continously monitor what the gamers do on their servers and if they dont have warez and etc on their servers. Ofc you will have to also monitor the gaming websites but they wont be of as much trouble as servers.