Please help me find a host!

I'm sure you read this everyday, but I'm looking for a web host

I would like your advice on which service to pick. Namely, which has worked for any of you guys in the past without too many problems. I understand that there is no perfect host, so all(!) I want is a host that can sort out problems if they do arise and are fairly helpful, and most importantly provide the services that I need. I'm not too picky... I just don't want to lose my money to some scam. I don't even mind if they go down for a few days - as long as they keep on going.

Here's what I would like from a host:
    50mb of space
    10gb of bandwidth
    1 mysql database
    10 email accounts

and I would like to pay no more than $5 a month. Is it even possible to get a good host for this little? I see many people that offer this kind of service, but I don't know where to turn or who to trust. I have read so many horror stories I almost decided not to bother paying for hosting and carry on riding on the freebies.

I saw ukhost4u.com and then read the horror stories. Then there was dot54hosting.com that also looked oh so promising. I would have trusted both of these people with my money and yet I keep reading bad things about them! Please help me! I've never paid of hosting before, but I have decided that I want to register a domain (even godaddy.com seem to be a poor company now!) and get some good, reliable hosting.

So, please direct me

Thank you in advance,

Jack Andrews

You will find good quotes if you post a request here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I have already gone trough the request form, but anyone could send me a link... I want to know what services you have tried and how sucessful they have been.

I have just been looking at solidinternet.com... do you know if they are any good?

I have always found it interesting that people come to a forum and ask others for who they would suggest. How do you know that person doesn't work for the company? or gets free hosting?

Personally you must know at least 5 people in your sphere of influence that have a website. Ask them who they us and ask them how there host has been. At least you can get an honest answer and not an answer from someone you don't know.

Just my 2 cents.
    Gary Jones

I just started using amxhost.com and he gives me great support and a good price! Try him if you want.
    Internet Hosting Provider NOW
    iHPNOW.COM - Professional, Fast, Cheap, NOW!
    AIM: iHPNOWDave
    MSN: [email protected]

Originally posted by w3Market
    I just started using amxhost.com and he gives me great support and a good price! Try him if you want.
    Dave your site isn't up?
    Gary Jones

hehe... who else can I trust?

None of my friends really make websites (although one person I know did buy an 'unlimedted' plan, but I have been lurking here long enough to steer clear of that).

Getting back on-topic, what do u think of solidinternet? They seem pretty perfect to me, $30 a year, and I'm not paying for support which I probably wont need anyway. I did a search on them and heard mainly positive things so I think I might give them a shot. The guy who runs it seems fairly honest and hard-working.

just one last question, it says I have to transfer a domain, so I'm guessing I go to godaddy.com (or is there a better one) and sign up there. I have never used a domain before... is there some kind of CP on godaddy taht will let me transfer it to solidinternet's name servers?

Thanks

Jack

Hi,

If the host offers a unconditional 30-Day or more money back guarantee then I'd say go for it and give them a try, as long as it's not mission critical.

You should also do a search on the host and make sure they'll be able to offer you good service & support. Even if you don't think you'll need support, when the time comes you'll be in trouble without anyone answering your emails. Also take note of the host's server specifications & numer of accounts put on it as well as the control panel they use etc..

There are many things you should look into before signing up with a host.

Good luck on your search.
    Also try searching findmyhosting.com and various hosting directories & review sites.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Checkout All In 1 Web Solutions.
    http://www.allin1websolutions.com
    Joe and the guys do a great job with their servers and have good customer service.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

A first timer..ahhh...I remember those days when I first stumbled out on the web..

I can surely understand your conscern and browsing these forums usually make you more confused since you hear both good and bad things about pretty much all companies. I am guessing you now have that paranoid feeling and really don know who to trust and where to sign up...I have been there myself

Even though your bandwidth requirement is pretty big for such a small hosting (You probably will need less that half of that if even that) you should have no problem finding someone to host your website and if that host is no good you can always move later.

In my sig you find a link to a great website with some useful tips on how to choose a webhost and if you look around you will find many others that you can look over before choosing a webhost.

I hope you find a good host.
    Good luck with your website and welcome out on the web

Originally posted by monster123
    Dave your site isn't up?
    No, the site I am hosting with them is http://www.marybetht.com
    Internet Hosting Provider NOW
    iHPNOW.COM - Professional, Fast, Cheap, NOW!
    AIM: iHPNOWDave
    MSN: [email protected]