Thread: SEO Problem

SEO Problem

One of the best ways to increase your rankings on search engines with how many links to your site you have. But then I heard having too many links to your site can hurt you.

Can anyone describe this and tell me which one is actually true and why.

I've had really good success with search engines using the following methods:

1. make sure meta tags are present...and have good keywords.
    2. put content higher in the page than unrelated material.
    3. register your site with search engines.

I think that having links to your site could help, but it also could hurt. It depends on what sites are linking to you. The search engine crawlers will eventually find all those links and decide what to do with them. Of course, with billions of websites in the world, there is not exact formula for search engine optimization. You will probably always be competing with other sites for that #1 spot.

good luck!
    Shane

Links to your site won't hurt you. The idea is that a webmaster can not control who links to his site.

Having too many links on your site could hurt you. What is "too many"? I dont have a clue. But you dont want to be a link farm. If you link to sites that link back to you, you should be ok.

Mulder
    Quentin Moore - TechRanker.net (Site re-launch coming soon)
    Best Tech Gadget Reviews | Mobile App Reviews | Comparison Charts
    Admin @ TechRanker.net | @ TechRanker | TechRanker.net

Re: SEO Problem

Originally posted by VampireD One of the best ways to increase your rankings on search engines with how many links to your site you have. But then I heard having too many links to your site can hurt you.Can anyone describe this and tell me which one is actually true and why.
    Read some of the advice to be found on the various SEO boards, and you will see that nothing is actually cast in stone.
    The Google algorithm contains over 100 criteria. It is not based solely on one or two items. There are many different opinions regarding linking. The World Wide Web is consisted of "links", you will not be penalised if you link good quality relevant websites to yours that your visitors will be interested in.

What happens if the link isn't relevant (ie. banner ad on some other site).

Is 10-20 links too many or we talking more like 300-500?

Strictly speaking, there's no problem with "too many" links, or with links from non-related sites. Avoid link farms, certainly, but that's not the same thing as the quantity of incoming links that you have.

A point that's often overlooked is that linking isn't just one of the many factors in search engine ranking algorithms; it plays a role in contributing to several different factors. So, using Google as an example, the often misunderstood PageRank value simply involves the number of links pointing to each page, the PageRank of each linking page, and the number of links on each of those pages. The topic of the linking pages or their content isn't a part of it. But links coming in are used in calculating your "authority score," links you have going out are used in calculating your "hub score." The relationship between those two, and each of them independently, are part of the ranking process. The presence of appropriate keywords in the text and the link anchors of pages linking to you are also part of the process in ranking pages returned for a given query. "Theming" of pages in your site and among the sites you link to and are linked from could play a role, depending on the search engine.

Ten to 20 links isn't "too many;" neither is 300 to 500. A link query at Google for microsoft.com reports 139,000 incoming links. Is that hurting them? Not at all.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

How do you do a link query on a site?
    Quentin Moore - TechRanker.net (Site re-launch coming soon)
    Best Tech Gadget Reviews | Mobile App Reviews | Comparison Charts
    Admin @ TechRanker.net | @ TechRanker | TechRanker.net

Originally posted by VampireD
    What happens if the link isn't relevant (ie. banner ad on some other site).
    SEs will take more consideration for relevant links over not relevant ones.

This means that a site with 1 relevant link will be better in the SERPs than a site with 2 not relevant links (I'm not saying that links is all that matters, I'm just giving an example).

Originally posted by VampireD
    Is 10-20 links too many or we talking more like 300-500?
    This depends on the keyword.

EX: Go to google, search for hotel, get the first result url and do: search for link:bestresult_url.com. See the amount of links it has and you will see how many links is good.

Maybe 5 links is good and maybe 6,000 links are good.