searching socket programming enabled host!!

Does anyone of you know about free webspace providers who allow XML SOCKET programming?? you know, the stuff with listeners and free listening ports, mostly for chat applications or online games...

My hosting provider's firewall blocks all queries that don't run over port 80 (standard HTTP port) or port 20/21 (FTP)... therefor i cannot program a powerful chat application without the nervy meta-refresh!!!

thanks in advance!

don't you think you are asking too much from a free webhost?

No, I don't think so!!

There has to be a posibility!!! Do you think that all pages with an online chat (whether based on Java applet or on PHP socket programming) have set up there own servers?? I couldn't do this, because I have an DSL internet account with dynamic IP adressing.... A server can only run under the condition that your given IP is static!!

So anyone of you can help me?? Help me finding a host that allows me to run a MINI (!!!) chat server!!!!

Thanks

Perhaps if you were looking for paid hosting, more people would be receptive and offer suggestions. Maybe it's time to change hosts, or look for a different chat system.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Originally posted by web4d
    No, I don't think so!!

I couldn't do this, because I have an DSL internet account with dynamic IP adressing.... A server can only run under the condition that your given IP is static!!
    Who told you so? Even with gethostbyname() you can work on the name based premises.

Peter

<<< Signature to be setup in your profile >>>
    Last edited by choon; 05-15-2004 at 05:02 PM.

I don't think you really understood me! I would have to build an HTML server on my local machine - which is accessible remotely - in order to be able to build a chat server on this very HTML server!!!!!!

And building an HTMl server on my PC requires a static IP!!! Believe me, just believe me...

So nobody knows??

It does not require a static ip, you could use something like dyndns.org. Just use a java chat applet. I used those all the time back when I was really young and couldn't afford to pay a few bucks a month for a decent host. I would recommend paying a few bucks a month for hosting. Having other ports open is not necessary either.

Originally posted by dftchris
    It does not require a static ip, you could use something like dyndns.org. Just use a java chat applet. I used those all the time back when I was really young and couldn't afford to pay a few bucks a month for a decent host. I would recommend paying a few bucks a month for hosting. Having other ports open is not necessary either.
    Essentially, I was trying to say the same thing. You can run a complete Web solutions on the DHCP with HTTP, application, and back-end. The one thing I can see as a possible problem - it's to run a socket type application, but if you refer remote part with gethostbyname() not gethostbyaddress(), you can mask it as well. And I agree to pay few extra bucks for decent hosting can help.

Peter Kinev.
    Open Solution, Inc
    http://opensolution-us.com

I visited dyndns.org, but didn't really see through, what they want from me!

Originally posted by web4d
    I visited dyndns.org, but didn't really see through, what they want from me!
    Listen, we are trying to help you, be patient. The dyndns.org provides a dynamic IP address resolution and few more useful services. The most important among them are handling of MX records (never try myself), allows to have transparent e-mail server and automatic remapping of a new IP address to your domain name. So, with a cheap Ethernet switch and dyndns.org you will be able to organize a small hosting company on the cable line, assume you have one or more computers.

BTW, I visited your site and I like your idea (have no opinion about the site itself). What do you think about a combination of Flush MX and raw SVG?

Peter Kinev
    Open Solution, Inc
    http://opensolution-us.com

What do you mean by raw svg??? Flash MX is a cool tool... Didi you visit the homepage web4d.net , too?? It hasnt really recent contents and so... never really updated it for years...