SATA for Qmail Server

I am currently running a P3 1 Ghz 512 mb, 60 Gb ATA 60 Raid 1 Hardware mirror for email hosting max about 3 mbps , running Qmail. I am putting in a new server and migrating the email accounts to that, with additional Qmail Scanner and Clamav, but config is Xeon Dual 2.8 Ghz, 2 GB Ram , 120 Gb Hard Disk SATA Raid 5. Anyone, can this new server take the load of the old one given the new qmail scanner and Clamav which are CPU intensive and I/O intensive?

Re: SATA for Qmail Server

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I am currently running a P3 1 Ghz 512 mb, 60 Gb ATA 60 Raid 1 Hardware mirror for email hosting max about 3 mbps , running Qmail. I am putting in a new server and migrating the email accounts to that, with additional Qmail Scanner and Clamav, but config is Xeon Dual 2.8 Ghz, 2 GB Ram , 120 Gb Hard Disk SATA Raid 5. Anyone, can this new server take the load of the old one given the new qmail scanner and Clamav which are CPU intensive and I/O intensive?
    You should have MORE than enuff cpu and i/o to go around. As long as you aren't sucking up the pci bandwith with dual gigabit nics running files over the network, then the bandwith of your SATA disks should be fine. You have more than enuff cpu to go around if you compile the kernel properly. For linux, 2.6.latest kernel will support HT better than the old clunky 2.4.any kernels do for HT. Thus, you will get even more punch from your Xeons.

Thanks have got the 2.6 kernel : )