* Your Domain prices

I have had my prices set to £5 ($8.50), which is at no profit since re-branding my website hosting business last year...however since a lot of people have registered domains since then, it has made me re-think and double the cost to £10 ($17) to pay for my time.

What are your prices set to, and why?
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

Currently $8.50. My income is not dependent on my Domain Business. With the numerous sub-$9, $10, $11, etc. registrars why would they want to pay $17? Sure there are newbies who don't know about better deals but one day they will and do you think they stay with you at +$5 above most everyone else?

$23 to cover my costs paying employees/rent etc.. it also depends on the market.

i run anothe rwebsite without phone support etc.. i charge $9.99 which makes almost ~$1.2/name after deducting CC processor fees and domain cost..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

$6.75, not something i want to try and make profit off. I would rather get more visitors getting the domain and maybe buying some hosting to go with.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Hmm...good points.

$7.75 and we buy them at eNom for $6.99
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

12.99 a year/12.00 a year for 2 years, its a happy medium I have found
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

14.95 this may seem like alot compared to other posts but when you look around some major players in the market are charging over 35!

over 35 ? never seen any lol most expensive was $50/yr ($100/2yrs) then went to $70/2yrs $35/yr

maybe some REAL CLOSED market but not sure, maybe you're talking about other ccTLDs not gTLDs
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I have a local competitor with a price of 70€ for .com / year. It's almost $83 !...

Well it's just a number game to me if you are trying to say which price range is better.

Do you want 10 customer for a price of $10 or 1 customer for $100.

I think it is more on how you can justify your cost. If you can afford to give domains for free, I am sure you have to get back your cost somewhere else in your business model.

For me, I set it from $12.00/yr and higher for other regional domain(of course terms applies). I believe the added features that you can provide also counts alot.

Regards

I will still be going ahead with doubling my domain registration fee, as I have no interest in the cheap paying customers.

Originally posted by Scenes
    I will still be going ahead with doubling my domain registration fee, as I have no interest in the cheap paying customers.
    good strategy
    Domain Maven

which domain seller?

pls advise as to which domain seller should i sign up to be able to resell domains at cheapest price ...

better if i m an affiliate ... ie i dont need to process the payment etc

We charge $15 for a .com for one year.
    I increased it from $13.
    Sales went down a bit but profits increased, and as I am in business to make money it made sense.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Originally posted by dmaven
    good strategy
    Yeah it works for me, as cheap paying customers are just customers who will jump hosts at the sign of another offer. Drawing in higher paying customers decreases that chances and provides solid clients which are vital for any business success.

Although we are still restructuring our site and services, our plan is to sell Domains at a Price of $5.95+tax. It is our belief that if a customer visits your company's site and sees great prices, that will tempt them into purchasing more from you. Although we do not make any profit, we would actually be losing money, there are other ways to pull in a profit so that a a few dollars a year on domain costs won't damage our pockets.

This is true.
    However, I considered this and did some market research.
    It seemed that to bring in sufficient word of mouth business to make it worthwhile, domain prices would need to be under $5.....
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

That may turn out to be the case, and we will adjust appropriately to better suit our needs and the customers needs.

Like Gordon over the years we have experimented on pricing.

We now charge the equivalent of $30 per domain and have not lost any customers because of it and gained quite a few.

We have 2 resellers that charge in excess of £50 ( $90) per domain year and sell lots of domains.

Old saying if you sell for peanuts expect to attract monkeys.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Pricinbg is very sensitive.
    I increased our 2 year price to $29 from $28 and did not sell a single 2 year domain for 3 days.
    I think we have reached equilibrium on pricing.
    We make enough money to make it worthwhile, while keeping the level of sales to a manageable level.

Also, we used to charge less and the renewal rate was lower. With a higher price we also get better renewal rates and renewals cost nothing to acquire, so we win both ways.

Originally posted by GordonH
    Pricinbg is very sensitive.
    I increased our 2 year price to $29 from $28 and did not sell a single 2 year domain for 3 days.
    I think we have reached equilibrium on pricing.
    We make enough money to make it worthwhile, while keeping the level of sales to a manageable level.

Also, we used to charge less and the renewal rate was lower. With a higher price we also get better renewal rates and renewals cost nothing to acquire, so we win both ways.
    I agree with your points however I have not found the sensitivity that you have although we are on a smaller scale.
    We have around 4000 domains which creates a turnover of around $100,000 if I was to go down the cheap route or loss route that is a sizable amount to lose to make a small possible gain.
    It has taken me 8 years to get the balance right ( for me) and we currently have a 99.5% retention rate on actioned renewals - basically I think I am in business to make money not give anything away.

Loss leaders are fine in a number of commercial outlets but I am dubious on domain market places as if it does not produce the figures needed then the company has to swallow that loss at renewal or risk losing the customer by subtantially increasing the price, one lost hosting customer is a hell of a lot of cheapie domain customers to make up the loss.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

I agree.
    We make quite a large profit on domain names, which makes it worthwhile.

We get a lot of non renewals on hosting but not as many as we used to.
    I had to reduce our hosting prices to stop us losing customers due to price and it has worked out OK because we are retaining more of them.

Originally posted by Scenes
    i charge 15 for regular and 25 for anonymous.

i do everything for the client.

they dont have to figure out anything
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by GordonH
    I agree.
    We make quite a large profit on domain names, which makes it worthwhile.

We get a lot of non renewals on hosting but not as many as we used to.
    I had to reduce our hosting prices to stop us losing customers due to price and it has worked out OK because we are retaining more of them.
    "Hostroute.com Ltd has more than 20,000 customers located in over 50 countries around the world form China to the Netherlands Antilles."

wow, i would think you could afford to lose a few

thats an impressive number!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

22,324 ....

The problem is that each ones payments are needed to keep the business afloat.
    We have quite a high customer turnover.
    Most leaving because they no longer have a web site, and there is not much you can do about that.