windows programming!

Does anyone have any recommendation for books on windows programming? (visual c++)

I've been doing web dev. for a few years now, and I want to get into windows based programming. Mainly because a lot of the software that I like to write now, requires me to have some sort of interaction with a win32 based program, and I'd like to beable to write my own programs that can mediate between the two mediums! Not to mention make windows versions of my web panels
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

There are actually not too many good books on Visual C++ to me. I prefer doing it code based therefore there are quite a few websites that could provide you with knowledge on that. Just search for Win32 API and you will get a lot of good info.

If you're new to desktop programming language. I would strongly consider trying Delphi !

Fast compilation
    Fast executable
    A lot easier than c++

i recommend assembley

thx for the input

i was strolling around chapters a few days ago looking for some good visual c++ books and no luck, thats why I asked on here , heh.

someone mentioned delphi to me before.. i guess i should try it out.. thanks a bunch.

Isn't windows in C/?

C is a basic version of C++

C++ is basically C with OOP.. big time.

Atleast thats the impression I'm under

C is the base for a few languages, including C++(OOP), Java(again, OOP) and PHP.

Windows was written with a mix of C/C++ and ASM(assembly).

To program effectively on Windows with the WIN32 API, I suggest C, with C++ to learn advanced callings for the windows system.

Assembly is only recommended if you really want to learn to optimize your program, as well as graphics. I have seen screensavers written with full c++ and some written with hybrid ASM/C++ and the latter was about 50% smaller.

But, for the start, I would suggest learning C++(as most of these books teach you basics of C).

Good things to start with are Learn C++ in 21 days(takes a lot longer, but it organizes fairly well) and The Complete C++ Reference, which really is a great reference for C++, and has nearly 1/3 the book devoted to C.

Visual C++ is simply the compiler that you use. There are also two choices for freeware compilers in Dev-C++, Borland-C++, and Gcc(for *nix system, with a port from Cygwin). However, Visual C++ is a widely used, and heavily used compiler/IDE for C/C++ programming. A newer one is called LCC-Win32 as well.

*nix and freeware game developers usually use Gcc(in fact SDKs for the Dreamcast, and a ported (illegal) version of the Xbox sdk(XDK) uses the Gcc compiler). Freeware for the PC(win) usually use Dev-C++. Professional game programmers either use codewarrior or a few of the other professional environments(unless they develop something in-house).

Here are some links:

C++ Home Tutorials
    Code Guru Tutorials
    Win Prog Tutorials
    Microsoft Developer's Network -- you will be a LOT!
    Bjourne Stroustrup -- the creator of C++ -- homepage

Also, any Stroustrup books are great, after all, he brought C++ together

Hope this all helps!
    Jim

Re: windows programming!

Originally posted by mg-
    Does anyone have any recommendation for books on windows programming? (visual c++)
    The definitive guide to Win32 API programming is Programming Windows by Charles Petzold.

All examples in the book are written for Visual C++, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone wishing to learn Windows programming (using C or otherwise).

Regards,

hehe...I cannot believe I forgot about him

Anything from Petzold, especially from Microsoft Press(usually hard-cover books) is worth it.

And the book you are referring to is not small, for those who may be timid.