Clamav and Qmail Scanner

I am running these two, they are quite ok but prob is their CPU usage quite high, any lighter anti virus scanner than Clamav?

Greetings:

You may want to check Clamav.net's site for 3rd party tools that work with ClamAV.

Qmail-Scanner does work; but it can be a memory hog.

We do use qmail-scanner, and it works... but then again we are using servers with 1 GB of RAM and dual processors.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Prob I am also running Xeon Dual 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB Ram, esp during peak hours load would be in the 20s range with the current virus outbreaks. Is that normal? Server can still take it, just that I feel 20s range for load is extremely high

Yeah, these guys are a pain that way, specially if you have some mailing lists, and auto-responder type thingies on your box, but good thing you got a dual xeon. That helps the load a bunch. My customers want it so it is staying.
    Hostito, Inc. - Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    http://www.hostito.com
    [email protected] - 1 888 467 8486

Same for me, my clients want the anti virus and so on. I notice that a lot of traffic also generated by the anti virus emailing back to to senders (for viruses a lot are spoof or non existent) this cause a lot of queue and unprocessed messages. Another headache. Clients want to be informed of any emails the failed to receive. Really want to stop the anti virus messages. Was also advised by some anti spam RBL to stop these. Still deciding, anyone stopped the anti virus messages?

Greetings:

If you are running a large amount of mail, then multiple mail servers may be the real answer.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I just moved our group of qmail scanning servers to ClamAV from F-Prot, I find the resource requirements about the same and it is actually SpamAssassin that takes most resources most of the time.

The only suggestion I would have is to use the clamd service so it's always ready to roll.

One server I'm taking care of for a dialup ISP is only a P2-350Mhz with 384MB of RAM, this box does incoming scanning then hands off the email to the ISPs NT mail server. It works well with the qmailscan combo, although we do use RBLs to drop about 85% of incoming connections, if we don't use RBL lookups the box buckles quite quickly under the load, those darn spammers!
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Which RBL are you using? I am using ordb and sbl-xbl still getting quite a lot of spams.