* WTD - 2gb RAM @ ~$80/mo

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some hosts that might be able provide a celeron / amd unmanaged server upgraded to 2gb of memory for around $80 / month?

Something like a celly 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, 80gb ATA + ? mbit - upgraded to 2gb ram.

Also - it'd be great if they could install debian stable as the base install. I don't need a managed box - it's just a pain reinstalling the OS remotely.

I only have experience with PC3200 DDR 400MHz ECC. Cost on that amount memory is around $600.

I guess my point is that an updated HT machine with 512 mb DDR SATA could blow the pants off of 2GB PC100 stuck into a celeron.

Faster processors do help your memory utilization; it has to hold less, and moves things through quicker.....It's like spinning plates....a balancing act for sure......

Sounds to me like you just need some modern hardware.

No, more RAM would be a great benefit to ANY machine.

I highly doubt you can find any box with 2GB of RAM for around $80 though, at least at anyplace that's any good...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    No, more RAM would be a great benefit to ANY machine.

I highly doubt you can find any box with 2GB of RAM for around $80 though, at least at anyplace that's any good...
    Oh, I couldn't agree more!! but the truth is you can milk more memory usage by using higer grade processor and higher speed/DDR memory.

2gb of memory is costly for any machine. You can optimize this memory with "quality" of memory, processor speed (HT), and I/O (serial ATA).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm flexible on $80 - what I'm looking for is low-price boxes with lots of silicon memory. I want lots of ram for holding full text indexes.

Any recommendations on who I should contact to get the lowest quote for this kinda setup?

*edit* Found the hosting request script - I'll see what I get.

Originally posted by PSFServers
    Oh, I couldn't agree more!! but the truth is you can milk more memory usage by using higer grade processor and higher speed/DDR memory.

2gb of memory is costly for any machine. You can optimize this memory with "quality" of memory, processor speed (HT), and I/O (serial ATA).
    The quote about spinning plates is apt.

But for me at the moment - it's important to have enough memory to hold over 1gb of indexes without swapping. It's also important that I don't put *all* my spending money into unmanaged servers.

maybe you can get 2gb PC100-133 ram but I don't think you can get 2gb DDR ram for $80
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Originally posted by phoebs
    maybe you can get 2gb PC100-133 ram but I don't think you can get 2gb DDR ram for $80
    The DDR would more than likely be cheaper than the SDRAM. I went and picked up 512 of ram for my mom's computer the other day. The RAM cost $140 CND for it. There was a stick of SD 133 next to it, and it was $150 - blew my mind away

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    The DDR would more than likely be cheaper than the SDRAM. I went and picked up 512 of ram for my mom's computer the other day. The RAM cost $140 CND for it. There was a stick of SD 133 next to it, and it was $150 - blew my mind away

~Francisco
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

The cheapest ram upgrade that a host provides that ive seen so far is InterQuad. They charge $45 setup and $10/mo currently. They used to charge ONLY $10/mo and NO setup.

Also IQ is flexible as in if you pay a higher setup fee, you will get a lower monthly fee, you can negotiate that with Breck.
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: [email protected]

Originally posted by phoebs
    it's true, SDR isn't supported anymore, so the production lowers and the price increases. DDR is being made, but supply is still lower than demand, so that is why the prices are still climbing, they should fall within 6-12 months again (hopefully).