Problem with transfer

I just received an account from a company that has had a horrible experience with another host provider. They have asked me to contact the host to get the site/domain transferred. The domain and site belong to the company that just signed up with me. The problem is, the old host provider has control of it and is not cooperating with giving it to me. Without lawyers, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tell them this is not a proper way to conduct business, keeping others domain name when they have paid for is against the rules of doing business properly. Ask them to act with due diligence or you will have no choice but to report them to BBB or their local state office, get the customer to sign and agree with you. Request them nicely and fax them the letter to handover the domain(transfer it to you) asap.

It's probably not a professional company he's dealing with so almost not a chance of them having a fax or aphone number. Any real company would have spent the 15 seconds to tar it up and send it over.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Still he should try sending them a fax, call them up and see what they are upto, the domain has been paid for so the host has no right to not transfer as it is owner's property. rzrback25 try researching on bbb and ask them what you should do. (www.bbb.org) hope something good happens.

From personal experience, legal threats always work. Especially since as pixel_fenix mentioned, he can't be a legitimate company. Type up a professional notice threatening legal action and he'll probably wet himself and return the domain.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

That will be the last resort, if the host is not co-operating then you will have to send a legal threat and report it to authorities.

Best of luck

thanks for the help. Unfortunately, none of the phone numbers work.

Try contacting ICANN, dunt know if thats possible but tell your customer to backorder their domain just incase.